How can I use in-camera proxies in post?

Ivanturas

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Iván Fuentes Hagar
As some of you may know, we're able to record both a hi res video plus a lower quality proxy file, simultaneously. I know this is super useful for transferring a lighter video to mobile, but I'm actually thinking about using these proxies in post.

It's super common to use proxies while editing (original files are required for color grading and/or VFX), and most people transcode/create their own proxies right after importing... but if the camera's already made its own, why not use them right away? Anyone know of a nice, straightforward workflow? ATM, I can only think of manually moving and manually linking all proxy files.

I really wish there was a straightforward, simple and quick way to take advantages of proxies, as well as all that metadata Sony cameras store within that cumbersome folder structure.

Ivan,
Not sure if these will help. I'm exactly sure about what you're after.
Kinda... Both Premiere videos talk proxies, and Matt Johnson's videos are always great, but both cases involve creating proxies rather than making use of the ones recorded in camera. The FCPX video does this, but it's a very rough way of doing it... was hoping there'd be something far more elegant. It just seems like such a waste that there's such a lot of resources in the card, including proxies and metadata, yet manually dragging files ends up being the only way to work.

Back