Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok having to wet clean my a9 sensor for the first time and having read loads of comments on here and on other sites I began to wonder how clean my sensor needs to be, when I look at my sensor at f 32 its ok but not totally clean obviously its clean to the eye at lower f numbers, and given that my interest is turning to birds in flight from wildlife can members give opinions please

I would say your sensor should be spotless and pristine. Would you leave your lens dirty?

I understand what you say the point was I have had sensors cleaned in store etc and never seen a really spotless sensor when tested through in all the ways we all know of , so I assume you feel your sensor is pristine ie no smears spots or grease at any f number given that most of us change lens now and again it obvious that the sensor will not be pristine at all times

I understand what you say the point was I have had sensors cleaned in store etc and never seen a really spotless sensor when tested through in all the ways we all know of , so I assume you feel your sensor is pristine ie no smears spots or grease at any f number given that most of us change lens now and again it obvious that the sensor will not be pristine at all times

I am not sure of your or anybody else's procedures. I set up the lens to be used as a replacement with a loose cap on the back end, invert the camera so that the lens is pointing down, quickly remove the lens and immediately attach the new lens. All this is done in seconds. Dust on the back of the lens can be removed with a brush or with a carbon fiber brush if it is really bad. This has worked for me for years.

Some folks over at Leica will put a vacuum in another room and stretch the hose with a restricted nozzle and covered with porous cloth through an all but closed door, invert the camera lensless and hold the tip of the nozzle under their camera(s). The practitioners claim great success. I have never tried it.

If/when I do have to clean the sensor I will use what Leica uses at their factory in Wetzlar. https://smile.amazon.com/Eyelead-Camera-Sensor-Cleaning-Kit/dp/B00MCLQI1U/ref=sr_1_36?crid=1BAN5KQCUMYWI&dchild=1&keywords=sensor+cleaner+full+frame&qid=1632265432&sprefix=sensor+cleaner,aps,258&sr=8-36

I have a vid somewhere on my computer of a tech at Wetzlar doing the deed to clean that Leica sensor. I'd consider their procedures to be prudent and effective.

Last edited:
Back