Followers
Following
Name
Marie Schaller
Country
United States
City/State
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have felt uninspired lately. Between COVID - lack of travel, and closures - and the fact that I mostly shoot landscape, and I live in a place with virtually constant blue skys and blazing sunshine, I don't feel I have decent opportunities to go shooting. Im trying to expand my horizons to portraits, and commercial photography, but Im not passionate about it. How do you keep the creative juices flowing, when you don't feel inspired?

"Marie Schaller, post: 2052, member: 534"]
The Glenlee Glasgow.jpg
D&G Mowed Field & Plane 4.jpg
APS@Turnberry1 Textured.jpg
APS@Turnberry3 Textured.jpg

Hi, Marie I think we have all felt like that over the last six months or so I found that going over some of my older photos and trying different processing and I know its not for everyone but I learned new skills I am just an old hobbyist but it kept me going through these difficult times. Stay safe (p.s. the plane wasn't there)

I like that idea. I think even more than just engaging one's creativity, going through old shots might even help recognize mistakes you made, or give you an idea for another shoot.
Awesome photos btw! Beautiful places.
Hi, Marie I think we have all felt like that over the last six months or so I found that going over some of my older photos and trying different processing and I know its not for everyone but I learned new skills I am just an old hobbyist but it kept me going through these difficult times. Stay safe (p.s. the plane wasn't there)
[/QUOTE]

I keep a folder on my computer with inspiration and ideas to work on. These will include sub folders of places I want to go and ideas of things I want to include or run with in my own work.
From a landscape point of view I go for a walk with camera and do landscapes or to a nature reserve.

It’s tough right now because of the situation we are in with COVID-19 which makes it challenging. All the events and photo shoots I am normally involved in are cancelled. I found that I started looking in my local area for small things to photograph. Sometimes it is harder.

I try to find things I need to work on and find shots to practice on that. I want to learn more about sports photography so started shooting my daughter and husband playing tennis. I want to shoot the kids playing basketball next.

I have been playing around with Astro/sky photography as well. Another thing I have been wanting to learn.

It’s been fun to learn something new and work on aspects of my photography that I wouldn’t have normally if all the events were going on.

I have felt uninspired lately. Between COVID - lack of travel, and closures - and the fact that I mostly shoot landscape, and I live in a place with virtually constant blue skys and blazing sunshine, I don't feel I have decent opportunities to go shooting. Im trying to expand my horizons to portraits, and commercial photography, but Im not passionate about it. How do you keep the creative juices flowing, when you don't feel inspired?

I am in a very similar position. Whilst I do portrait shoots professionally I love doing landscapes but 99% of the time it’s within walking distance of my home on the edge of an old industrial town in north east England.

I find myself shooting the same locations, so I keep myself challenged by taking out different lens, move to a different shooting spot, different times of day, use filters for long exposure......but the main thing that keeps me taking the camera out is to tell myself I’m going for exercise and good photos are a bonus and make that exercise worthwhile.

on e I’m on the ground it’s just me, the camera and the birds..... it all becomes worthwhile!

Back