Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Have you ever heard of the term Intentional Camera Movement/Motion (ICM)? Basically the idea is to pan your camera as the shutter is open to blur the scene for artistic effect. I tried it last year and recently re-edited the picture because I think it will look good on a small canvas in the guestroom. This is my attempt to make a "meh" overcast day at the beach look like art LOL. Its not great, but its interesting enough a technique to repeat another day. Nothing fancy, just the kit lens and handheld panning left-to-right.

DSC04846.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 43.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/13 sec
  • ISO 100

Edit: example of original conditions that day:
DSC04799.jpg

Have you tried ICM? Share with us!

Last edited:
Very interesting stuff mate, will have to try it out shortly.

I seen a thing Mark Galer done a while ago, using relatively low shutter speed he pans it with a woman who is riding an old scooter down a street in Vietnam I think. It looked phenomenal and have been meaning to try that I'm Sydney ever since. Still haven't tried it yet though...

Very interesting stuff mate, will have to try it out shortly.

I seen a thing Mark Galer done a while ago, using relatively low shutter speed he pans it with a woman who is riding an old scooter down a street in Vietnam I think. It looked phenomenal and have been meaning to try that I'm Sydney ever since. Still haven't tried it yet though...
I love that look, and you see it in motorsports and automotive marketing often. I would call that panning with the subject, because the goal there is to keep the subject in focus.
What I'm after in this thread is a bit more abstract than that; the subject may be more difficult to define, or there may be no subject at all other than the colors/textures. But yeah mate, I've seen some very interesting examples. Horizons at sunrise/sunset are popular. One example featured a blurred shoreline at sunset with a static image of a surfer carrying his board, melded together as a composite. Another one I've seen is a vertical pan while taking pictures of trees/forest to accentuate strong vertical lines. I would like to try it again, maybe a sunset shot over the Florida Everglades.

Mind you, this is FAR from my usual point and shoot activity. I just thought it would be a fun topic!

I've done this many times, however, mine is UCM :)

51304588096_098d3edcc9_o by telecast, on Flickr

And yes, before someone questions this, it's a Sony.

A simple up movement on a wooded trail. Shutter speed 1 second.
almost looks like you were still walking while taking the picture. The texture in the lower half of the pic looks like brush strokes!

If I had started lower like right by my feet, and kept the sky out, it would've been cooler.

MY102451.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1.3 sec
  • ISO 100
MY109534.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 454.0 mm
  • ƒ/8