Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Cotton Carrier CCS G3 harness for 2 cameras
Cotton Carrier CCS G3 with cameras.jpg
Summary
I've had it a week, carried one, then two cameras for about 75-100 km, this is a keeper.
  • A1 with 200-600 in the center chest holster
  • A7 IV with 24-105 (or 16-35 PZ) in the side holster
Update - April 3, 2024
A year later, using the Cotton Carrier for 2-3 hours a day, every day, I'm still extremely happy with it.​
Pluses
  • It works as advertised
  • I really enjoy having two cameras handy to switch from the long zoom to the shorter zoom at any time
  • It feels secure with the extra safety straps, and I can't imagine how a snatch-and-grab thief could get away with a camera in this rig
  • It leaves my hands free to steady or protect myself if I trip or stumble
  • With either the camera body or lens locked into the harness, I have both hands available to change bodies or lenses or attach a teleconverter
  • The bodies and lenses are stationary (nothing swings around to bang into my limbs or objects or people or the ground), but I have to be mindful if I squat or kneel to get a low angle

Minuses
  • It looks a little goofy - but then, there are very few people where I normally go
  • Edit: - I noted an issue below (now strike-out) - that has been completely resolved by Cotton Carrier. I had an older version of the CAMs (angled), and after a visit with Jesse at the company - I'm all set with the current flat version. Everything works smoothly now.
    It has taken some practice to get the camera to slide into the holder. For the chest holster, I get it right most of the time, but with the A1+200-600 (somewhat unwieldy), it's sometimes a struggle to line things up right. I'm having a harder time with the side holster. I can't see the side holster when I've got a camera in the chest holster, but I'm sure that will get easier with practice.

Interesting
  • In the carrying position, the lens is supposed to point straight down. The 200-600 with lens hood extends below my belt line, so I swing it about 30 degrees off-center, and it's more comfortable and still locked in the holster. It's not going anywhere it shouldn't.
  • The CAM should be attached to the tripod foot for the longer lenses. This means the A1+200-600 sits out from my chest far enough that I can't close my coat over the camera and lens when it rains. I'll probably have to get a rain poncho. The little rain hood that comes with the Cotton Carrier isn't big enough for a long lens.
  • I called Cotton Carrier, and a friendly and knowledgeable person answered the phone immediately. It turns out they are about 55 km from here, and I may just head over there one day when I feel like shooting in that area.
  • I'm going to get some extra Hubs so I can attach one to each camera body and lens.

Cotton Carrier Cam.jpg
  • I still need to carry a bag for all the other stuff (teleconverter, microphone, cloths, plastic bags, ...)
Confession
Five months ago, someone suggested I try the Cotton Carrier, and I passed because I thought - I don't want a harness system made of cotton. Stupid me, I didn't know that the company was founded by Andy Cotton.

Back story
Eight months ago, I was struggling to find a way to carry my A7 IV with 24-105 on my daily 10-20 km treks. After trying a bunch of things, I settled on using a large side-holster belt bag from Lowepro.

I started hanging around here in January and got interested in a longer lens. I got 70-200 GM II, A1, 200-600 in quick succession. Fortunately, the A7 IV with 70-200 GM II (with lens hood in shooting position) still fit in the Lowepro bag.

I initially dismissed the 200-600 as being too heavy to carry any distance. But despite my misgivings, I got one a month ago. Of course, it didn't fit in the bag I had, so I was on the hunt for another solution.

As for the weight, I adapted somehow, but it was uncomfortable to have the A1+200-600 hanging from the lens neck strap. Most of the time, I carried the lens in my arms. I've had the 200-600 long enough to know, it's a keeper. Unfortunately, I've found the narrow field of view too narrow except for wildlife, so I wanted a way to carry two bodies with lenses mounted.

Conclusion
I picked up the Cotton Carrier CCS G3 (two-camera system) about a week ago,
I've used it every day for 10 km or more with the A1+200-600 at first and added the A7 IV+24-105 for the past three days. I know I'm okay with two cameras for up to 10 km but for longer treks, I'll probably take just one camera, the A1+70-200 GM II and carry the 2x teleconverter.

So far, I'm happy with it.

I hope this is helpful for anyone considering the Cotton Carrier.
Cotton Carrier CCS G3.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been using the Cotton Carrier system just about since it was first introduced. It’s been great over these past 15 years or so, with virtually no sign of wear.

Do you think it would be practical to carry an A7RV with the 70-200 GM II on the hip? A bit heavier than the A7IV + 24-105, but it's my go-to for the shorter zoom role.

I think the weight distribution would be better than a pair of neck straps.

Do you think it would be practical to carry an A7RV with the 70-200 GM II on the hip? A bit heavier than the A7IV + 24-105, but it's my go-to for the shorter zoom role.

I would think so. I used the SLT-A99v and the DSLR-A900 with the A-mount 70-200, which is quite a bit heavier than their E-mount equivalents, and it was a easy carry on the CC side carrier.

I wondered how you managed to carry the 200-600 dangling straight down from your chest. 😂🍆

I carry mine using the straps, swing it over my neck and drape it down under my left arm. Depending on your body shape, this works out, then down the other side I have a messenger bag.

The camera on a wrist strap so I can snap off a few rounds on a whim.

The vest would be a bit of fun though. I’d probably throw on a set of fluffy handcuffs and a wooden spoon as conversation starters.

Hi, Tony.

While carrying the camera and lens on your hip could work, the lens with lens hood in shooting position would hang down to about mid-thigh. That means your leg would be brushing the lens as you walk. This would happen whether you connected the CAM to the camera body of the tripod foot of the lens because of the weight distribution of the camera and lens.

With the 2-camera harness, the side holster sits just at the lower edge of the rib cage, about eight inches higher than my hip. I just tried this setup with the A7 IV and 70-200 (with the hood in the shooting position). If I tilt the lens back a few degrees, I can walk without my leg brushing the lens. And at that slight angle, the camera is still locked in place. If I attached the CAM to the lens foot instead the camera body, there would be plenty of clearance.

If you're carrying only one camera, I'd suggest you try the Cotton Carry Scout, which puts the camera higher.

I wondered how you managed to carry the 200-600 dangling straight down from your chest. 😂🍆

I carry mine using the straps, swing it over my neck and drape it down under my left arm. Depending on your body shape, this works out, then down the other side I have a messenger bag.
I did that for the first three weeks, but sometimes I'm out for two-three hours and that's a long time to be carrying something around your neck, or tucked under your arm. At least it was for me.

Last edited:
Is there a way to still use a tripod with the cam attached to the camera?

Is there a way to still use a tripod with the cam attached to the camera?
Hi, Brad,
From the website

How do I use tripod or quick release?​

The hardware has a tripod holed milled into it for tripod use. If you use quick release we recommend the Universal Tripod Adapter Plate or Universal Arca Swiss L-Bracket
https://www.cottoncarrier.com/products/ccs-universal-adapter-plate
https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collections/accessories-1/products/l-bracket

Can I still use my tripod?​

Yes, you can still use your tripod. With our Universal tripod adapter plate, you can go directly from your CC harness into your favorite tripod head. It’s Arca-swiss compatible and if you use another brand like Manfrotto you just need to bolt the foot onto the Universal adapter plate. This adapter fits about 95% of the tripods currently created.
If you have any questions, kindly contact us:
Toll-free in North America 1-877-852-9423
Direct Dial 1-778-340-1535

Hi, Tony.

While carrying the camera and lens on your hip could work, the lens with lens hood in shooting position would hang down to about mid-thigh. That means your leg would be brushing the lens as you walk. This would happen whether you connected the CAM to the camera body of the tripod foot of the lens because of the weight distribution of the camera and lens.

With the 2-camera harness, the side holster sits just at the lower edge of the rib cage, about eight inches higher than my hip. I just tried this setup with the A7 IV and 70-200 (with the hood in the shooting position). If I tilt the lens back a few degrees, I can walk without my leg brushing the lens. And at that slight angle, the camera is still locked in place. If I attached the CAM to the lens foot instead the camera body, there would be plenty of clearance.

If you're carrying only one camera, I'd suggest you try the Cotton Carry Scout, which puts the camera higher.
No, I was considering using the same A1 + 200-600 as primary, but with the A7RV + 70-200 GM II as secondary, instead of the 24-105.

When I'm carrying just the 70-200, I have no trouble with using a Peak Design neck strap - it's not that heavy.

I did that for the first three weeks, but sometimes I'm out for two-three hours and that's a long time to be carrying something around your neck, or tucked under your arm. At least it was for me.
It is heavy. Each time I’ve taken it out, eventually I find somewhere to sit.

My Personal Trainer said ‘lifting 2kg with your biceps is not difficult, but lift it 500 times and that’s a tonne”.
[I was complaining about my sore arm and that’s why I didn’t want to do any more pushups. 😂😂

No, I was considering using the same A1 + 200-600 as primary, but with the A7RV + 70-200 GM II as secondary, instead of the 24-105.

When I'm carrying just the 70-200, I have no trouble with using a Peak Design neck strap - it's not that heavy.
Hi, Tony,

I understand now. Yes - this works. As I'm standing here at the computer (standing desk), I'm wearing the harness with both
A1 + 200-600 on my chest
A7 IV with 70-200 GM II in the second holster. That holster sits at the lower edge of my ribcage.

I have each CAM (the part that attaches to the camera or the lens) mounted on the tripod foot of the lens. This way, they both sit high enough so I can angle them a little off-centre, and the lenses don't bang into my body as I walk.

The edge of the extended lens hood of the 200-600 is just above my belt line on the left side
The body of the extended hood of the 70-200 is parallel to, but not touching, my right hip bone.

Thank you for verifying that. Now I need to find a local dealer :)

Quick update.

I dropped in at the Cotton Carrier office and had a great conversation with Jessie. He took the time to understand my concerns. He set me up with the current version of the Hubs (the part that attaches to the camera or lens foot). It turns out that the harness system I got (pre-owned) was much older than it looked and came with slightly different hardware. No fear - if you get a new one, you'll get the updated design. Also, if you have an older harness or holster, the new Flat Hubs will fit.

This solved my issues with getting the camera/lens to slide in/out of the holsters smoothly.

I also picked up the
  • Cotton Lens Bucket This gives me a way to carry a third lens, teleconverter, and other odds and sods
  • Dry Bag It is just big enough to serve as an emergency cover for the 200-600 if I get caught in the rain
  • Hand Strap I was pleasantly surprised at how this simple accessory makes it easier to hold the camera as it relieves the need to firmly grasp the hand grip with my fingers.
Since I was in a different area, I hiked around for a couple of hours with the A1+200-600 and A7IV+70-200 GM II. I was satisfied before but happier now.

Back