Incorrect settings?

CR44

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Craig Reynolds
Long time Canon user now switched to Sony. I have an A7 IV and covered my first event earlier this week with it. Not sure why the club looks like this, I suspect the e-shutter, but can't be certain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
DSC00036.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 82.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 320

Long time Canon user now switched to Sony. I have an A7 IV and covered my first event earlier this week with it. Not sure why the club looks like this, I suspect the e-shutter, but can't be certain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
That's definitely the rolling shutter effect I'm afraid. You'll need to shoot with the mechanical shutter to avoid it on the A7 IV. Only the A1 and A9 Series will let you shoot shots like this using the electronic shutter due to their stacked sensors and much faster read out speeds.

That's definitely the rolling shutter effect I'm afraid. You'll need to shoot with the mechanical shutter to avoid it on the A7 IV. Only the A1 and A9 Series will let you shoot shots like this using the electronic shutter due to their stacked sensors and much faster read out speeds.
And please pardon my ignorance, but how do I use the mechanical shutter? Is it available on the A7?

Sorry, found it in the settings. Would adjusting the e-front curtain shutter to off help?

It's a product of the sensor's slower readout. I use mine E front curtain on and mechanical unless I'm shooting a A-mount lens, at which time the E front curtain gets set to off.

I remember when the A9 came out and Sony hadn't quite ironed out the software and there were a lot of shots showing this kind of effect even on the stacked sensor.

I remember when the A9 came out and Sony hadn't quite ironed out the software and there were a lot of shots showing this kind of effect even on the stacked sensor.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I greatly appreciate your assistance. Pretty sure I'll have more questions as I navigate this switch!

Sorry, found it in the settings. Would adjusting the e-front curtain shutter to off help?
I don't believe having e-front curtain shutter on or off will make a difference in regards to the rolling shutter. That said, Sony recommends setting it to off in the following situations:
  • When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter (aperture) lens attached
    If you shoot images with Electronic Front Curtain Shutter set to ON, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur, depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this function to Off.
  • When shooting at a fast shutter speed
    If you shoot images with Electronic Front Curtain Shutter set to ON, the brightness of the image may be uneven, depending on the shooting conditions.
  • When a lens made by another manufacturer
    If you use a lens made by another manufacturer (including a Minolta/Monica-Minolta lens), set this function to Off. If you set this function to On, the correct exposure may not be set or the image brightness will be uneven.
I've also heard that using EFCS with faster shutter speeds can result in slightly nervous bokeh but I have never tested this myself.

Back