Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
I notice that the system doesn't seem to retain my signature file even though I've clicked the "save" button after creating it. Yesterday it displayed on a few posts but today it didn't so I recreated it and hit the "save" button again. The signature isn't showing up even on recent posts I've made after doing that. A minor glitch, maybe?

ETA: OK, so it did display with this post. Huh.... Maybe it only displays on posts written after one has created the sig file? But in that case why doesn't it show up the next time one comes into the site, as it doesn't seem to be on posts that I wrote yesterday after having created my first one?

Also it doesn't provide too many characters so that one has to create a pretty short and brief sig file!

OK, it seems that when one is on the forum and has freshly activated the sig file that it shows up; if the member then goes off and then comes back on the forum later, the sig file isn't showing up. This post, which I made several hours after my earlier one, does not display the sig file. I checked the preferences section and there was no way to indicate that I wanted the sig file to be consistent, so I suspect that this is something which needs to be handled at the Admin level....

OK, so this evening I activated the sig file and it works fine -- some of the time, but not always. I noticed that it showed up in one thread to which I responded in a post, but not in another. ?? Definitely some sort of inconsistency going on there!

Sorry @Clix Pix I only just spotted this (didn’t have Watch forum turned on!).

I’ve made some tweaks here. Before the signature was limited to 50 characters and only displayed once per thread.

I’ve increased this to 100 characters and it should now display once per page. So if you create a thread or reply to a thread you will see it, then for following posts it’s disabled until the thread hits a new page then you’ll see it again.

I’ve set it up like this as forum signatures are often spammed and by limiting them to displaying once per page it also helps to keep the thread clean.

Please let me know if it’s not working like this for you now.

Thank you, Timothy! OK, your explanation makes sense to me..... I am familiar with forums in which the sig file is consistently displayed in ALL posts made by the user, so that is one reason for my confusion! Interesting approach, limiting it to displaying once per page. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong, and it was weird how one time the sig file would appear and then it wouldn't on my next post..... I'm a sort of all-or-nothing person, so this was frustrating!

Thank you, too, for increasing the number of characters, as that was another frustration for me! For members who have a lot of gear 50 characters definitely isn't sufficient! I find it valuable to use the sig file to let others know what gear I'm using so that they know that I've had experience with a particular lens or camera body when responding to threads and posts, and I appreciate seeing that kind of information in others' sig files as well.

Please let me know if it’s not working like this for you now.
Tim, I created a short signature block and saved. But I can't find it in any of my pages in posts. Mike.

Tim, I created a short signature block and saved. But I can't find it in any of my pages in posts. Mike.
Hey Mike, I can see your signature in the above post. It will only display once per page to help keep threads clean. So you'll only see it the first time that you post in a thread and also on new pages in that thread.

Hey Mike, I can see your signature in the above post. It will only display once per page to help keep threads clean. So you'll only see it the first time that you post in a thread and also on new pages in that thread.
I'm starting to feel like the village idiot here. You claim seeing sig in above post. Why can't I see it? Must I click an icon to display it? Where on post do you see it, top bottom?
Nor can I see anyone else's sig.
Edit:
Just had an insight!!!! I'm on a mobile smart phone. Maybe it ain't as smart as it thinks it is. Bet ya mobile device is delimiting post display. I'll try it later on laptop.
Edit:
Alas - I got!!!! When phone is held in portrait attitude, the sig can't be seen. When rotated 90 degrees to landscape -- the signature appears. Who'd thunk it? Tim, no reply necessary.

Last edited:
Nope, definitely not the village idiot here, I am :) It does appear to be hiding the signature on smaller displays, I think this got changed with the last software update I did here and hadn't realised. If you look now it should hopefully be displaying again! :)

Back