When does a Sony camera overflow from one folder to another?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
I've seen something happen that surprised me. I think I saw it before, but I forgot. This time I know I saw it!

I was using a Sony A9 III, and as you can imagine, shooting a lot of image :)

I put the memory card in the card reader and saw two folders for today's date, called 10140126 and 10240126. I've set folder naming to the weird "date" format, so those are folders 101 and 102 for date (202) 4 01 26 (in other words 2024-01-26).

"Gee", I thought, "I didn't expect to go over 10000 frames!"

And I hadn't. The first folder held only 4000 images (well, 8000 files, because I was shooting RAW-L + JPEG (something I will changing immediately after verifying that ACR can read my RAW files.

My understanding was the the event that causes the camera to go from one folder to the next was when the image number passes 9999 - when we take another photo it creates a new folder and put 0001 into that new folder. That I have seem many times before - I know that rule is true.

This folder had exactly 4000 images in stand the last one wasn't numbered 9999 (it was only just past 4000, in fact).

Has anyone else seen a new folder created after 4000 images in the current folder? Or is it due to the 8000 files? Makes me suspect that maybe DCIM only allows enough directory space in a folder for 8000 files.

I thought I'd seen it before!

Thank you for confirming that it's normal. It seemed odd.

BTW: I have confirmed that Adobe Camera RAW does support the A9III (yay!).

I've seen something happen that surprised me. I think I saw it before, but I forgot. This time I know I saw it!

I was using a Sony A9 III, and as you can imagine, shooting a lot of image :)

I put the memory card in the card reader and saw two folders for today's date, called 10140126 and 10240126. I've set folder naming to the weird "date" format, so those are folders 101 and 102 for date (202) 4 01 26 (in other words 2024-01-26).

"Gee", I thought, "I didn't expect to go over 10000 frames!"

And I hadn't. The first folder held only 4000 images (well, 8000 files, because I was shooting RAW-L + JPEG (something I will changing immediately after verifying that ACR can read my RAW files.

My understanding was the the event that causes the camera to go from one folder to the next was when the image number passes 9999 - when we take another photo it creates a new folder and put 0001 into that new folder. That I have seem many times before - I know that rule is true.

This folder had exactly 4000 images in stand the last one wasn't numbered 9999 (it was only just past 4000, in fact).

Has anyone else seen a new folder created after 4000 images in the current folder? Or is it due to the 8000 files? Makes me suspect that maybe DCIM only allows enough directory space in a folder for 8000 files.
Try setting single shot it helps ;)

Oh, you wanna take all the fun out of it!

I lowered Hi+ to 60fps and Hi to 30fps - didn't even use 120fps except once.

I had fun tracking moving animals and birds, though

I've never noticed but then again I usually transfer the files through cap1 and never look at the folders.

Strange my A1 just started a new folder today but the last photo in the old folder was 9999.

That is the expected behaviour - I thought it was the only case. It makes perfect sense. It helps you keep the later files separate from the earlier ones. I've seen this many times.

What surprised me was the folder change after 4000 images.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back