Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Once Nikon made the commitment, it was inevitable. It will take a while, but expect both to catch up with Sony. This will eventually eliminate Sony's biggest advantage, but not for a good number of years.

LOL. Read the last paragraph.

Canon will “Open” their RF mount to third party lens manufacturers​

Canon’s weakest spot compared to Sony is the fact that they have “closed” their mount not allowing third party manufacturers to easily make lenses with full electronic support. Sony correctly has done the exact opposite and it’s also one of the main reasons why the E-mount success has been a full success.

If the rumor is correct Canon will change course and the official announcement will happen by end of 2023.

In my opinion the L-mount alliance is the perfect example of how you should do it: Open the mount for both camera and lens manufacturers.

I do believe Sony should be open to the idea to allow third party manufacturers to make E-mount cameras too. Full Frame OM Digital cameras with their nice Olympus bodies could be an option. And so some of the Chinese manufacturers…

An E Mount OM? :unsure:

Last edited:
Wow, about time Canon. As recently as this week I told my friend I don't recommend Canon because of lack of lens options. This changes things... I wonder who the first 3rd party will be? Tamron? Sigma?

Oh and just for funsies: an E-mount OM would be very cool, but then any 3rd party lenses would give me pause for concern as the IP ratings wouldn't mean much unless you use a native lens (or an IP-rated lens).

Wow, about time Canon. As recently as this week I told my friend I don't recommend Canon because of lack of lens options. This changes things... I wonder who the first 3rd party will be? Tamron? Sigma?

Oh and just for funsies: an E-mount OM would be very cool, but then any 3rd party lenses would give me pause for concern as the IP ratings wouldn't mean much unless you use a native lens (or an IP-rated lens).
Third party lenses ARE native lenses if they were built specifically for that mount. Any other lens is an adapted lens.

OM users face the same question now. They have a huge selection of third party lenses available with differing levels of weather sealing.

Oops, I guess I was mis-using that term before; I thought "native lens" meant designed for the lens mount by the original camera manufacturer. Thanks for clarifying that.

I feel that Canon will follow the Nikon approach and still limit the lens that they will allow plus follow the Sony approach and nerf the max frame rate.

Generally overall good news

We'll see how it pans out I guess. Hopefully they do allow a flood but I can't see them just fully opening and going crazy. I think Sony will always be the big dog in this regard.

We'll see how it pans out I guess. Hopefully they do allow a flood but I can't see them just fully opening and going crazy. I think Sony will always be the big dog in this regard.
I think it's going to take some time to catch up to Sony, but you can bet your butt there are many companies just chomping at the bit. You may also remember that Canon sued someone, maybe Meiki, to stop them from making lenses with their mount. There may be a crap ton of lenses setting in warehouses just waiting for the green light to ship.

I'm betting that you'll see an immediate influx, then it'll calm down and there'll be more normal releases.

Could be a good time to buy some Tamron or Sigma shares if possible... 🚀

I think it's going to take some time to catch up to Sony, but you can bet your butt there are many companies just chomping at the bit. You may also remember that Canon sued someone, maybe Meiki, to stop them from making lenses with their mount. There may be a crap ton of lenses setting in warehouses just waiting for the green light to ship.

I'm betting that you'll see an immediate influx, then it'll calm down and there'll be more normal releases.

Ah mate! Companies would be hoping and praying they get the go ahead! I think you are right there. ✅

eh... too invested in e-mount to care. I hope Canon wakes up and allows 3rd party glass.
They would need an A1 stacked sensor competitor to get my interest. The R3 competes with the A9 II at 25% more $$$. Pass.

An R1 would be what - $7500? The Z8 would be a much more compelling candidate.

This is more about the Canon/OM comment than anything else.

There may be a crap ton of lenses setting in warehouses just waiting for the green light to ship.
Unless they had previous knowledge that they would allow and what they would allow nobody is going to have lenses ready. No sane company is going to devote resources and have stock sitting around with the hope of being able to sell them at some unknown time in the future. Unless Canon makes significant effort to help others it will most likely be a year before lenses are released.

Unless they had previous knowledge that they would allow and what they would allow nobody is going to have lenses ready. No sane company is going to devote resources and have stock sitting around with the hope of being able to sell them at some unknown time in the future. Unless Canon makes significant effort to help others it will most likely be a year before lenses are released.
Companies were making them already, Canon sued. So, unless they tossed them in the trash or were able to change mounts...

I wonder how much take up there will be. Sigma will for sure, but others I'm not so certain.

I wonder how much take up there will be. Sigma will for sure, but others I'm not so certain.
I expect a lot of the Chinese entry level companies will make them. Probably Samyang since they were on board. Tamron? Maybe, they're building for Nikon.

Once Nikon made the commitment, it was inevitable. It will take a while, but expect both to catch up with Sony. This will eventually eliminate Sony's biggest advantage, but not for a good number of years.

LOL. Read the last paragraph.

Canon will “Open” their RF mount to third party lens manufacturers​

An E Mount OM? :unsure:
Problem is you would still want more pixels on the OM Tim?

Problem is you would still want more pixels on the OM Tim?
Until I get so old that my strength cannot use a FF setup, going back to M-4/3 is extremely unlikely, mostly because of low light.

Besides, the comment suggest OM would build E-Mounts. I assume that means using FF sensors, since having an M-4/3 sensor in a camera that shoots E mount lenses would be one of the dumbest things ever.

Until I get so old that my strength cannot use a FF setup, going back to M-4/3 is extremely unlikely, mostly because of low light.

Besides, the comment suggest OM would build E-Mounts. I assume that means using FF sensors, since having an M-4/3 sensor in a camera that shoots E mount lenses would be one of the dumbest things ever.
That is what I was thinking I just needed to hear Tim :)

Back