Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
Or more correctly Japanese macaques.

This is one of those experiences with travel that leaves you with mixed emotions. Before you arrive, you have visions of wild creatures enjoying a natural phenomenon of their own choosing. When you arrive, however, man very much has a hand in the game. The onsen or hot pool is man made and the macaques are encouraged into it by feeding them. I'm not suggesting that they don't enjoy a hot bath, but there probably wouldn't be so many if it weren't for the tourists dollars.

There again, you can't help but feel uplifted by these incredible relations of ours.

If you go, get there early, opening time if you can. It's a 1.6km trek up to the park in snowy conditions, allow time for this.

I've included a phone snap to show how many photographers are there. You don't need huge lenses, 70 - 200 is fine, fast is obviously beneficial. Be careful where you put your camera as well, I saw a lens hood filled with snow by a badly placed foot, it was still attached to the camera.

All photos unedited.

Attachments

• DSC07771.JPG
    DSC07771.JPG
    527.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC07608.JPG
    DSC07608.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 45
20230211_092342.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/574 sec
  • ISO 50
DSC07551.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 129.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 2000
DSC07542.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2000
DSC07480.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 1000

Nice shots Dave at a virtual Bucket List photography location....a bit disappointing in seeing the reality of human involvement but nevertheless a major milestone in anyone's photographic journey.
Or more correctly Japanese macaques.

This is one of those experiences with travel that leaves you with mixed emotions. Before you arrive, you have visions of wild creatures enjoying a natural phenomenon of their own choosing. When you arrive, however, man very much has a hand in the game. The onsen or hot pool is man made and the macaques are encouraged into it by feeding them. I'm not suggesting that they don't enjoy a hot bath, but there probably wouldn't be so many if it weren't for the tourists dollars.

There again, you can't help but feel uplifted by these incredible relations of ours.

If you go, get there early, opening time if you can. It's a 1.6km trek up to the park in snowy conditions, allow time for this.

I've included a phone snap to show how many photographers are there. You don't need huge lenses, 70 - 200 is fine, fast is obviously beneficial. Be careful where you put your camera as well, I saw a lens hood filled with snow by a badly placed foot, it was still attached to the camera.

All photos unedited.

I have to say, there are some monster lenses being used by this group for a shot that is not too distant. Also, did the photographer that is second from the right drop a lens?

Your story reminded me a bit of the seal I seen a while ago at the aquarium part of the zoo. We were just running through there because I've never agreed with keeping such athletic animals in a closed area, but this seal was clearly in distress and all there were was thousands of people around taking photos of it with their phones. I just wanted to break him out and throw him in the ocean, but the sad truth is he wouldn't last a day out there with no life skills and I didn't feel like going to jail...

On the other hand they had that sun bear there who just lays on a hammock in the sun all day. Pretty cool life at a zoo for him as I wouldn't imagine him doing anything else in the wild so why not get free protection, a nice hammock and food delivery each day..! 🌞

I'd be interested to know if these monkeys get skin diseases and other things onset by what they're doing here. Pretty upsetting to hear they get coaxed into it...

I have to say, there are some monster lenses being used by this group for a shot that is not too distant. Also, did the photographer that is second from the right drop a lens?
I did notice that, had to look twice, but that's how he looked after his kit.

"I'd be interested to know if these monkeys get skin diseases and other things onset by what they're doing here. Pretty upsetting to hear they get coaxed into it..."

They all looked very healthy in my very unqualified opinion.

Not the first time I've seen someone put a lens on the ground when changing to another (probably shorter!) lens. Would not do that myself - I can imagine a macaque grabbing it.

They all looked very healthy in my very unqualified opinion.

What sort of qualifications are needed to decide whether an animal looks healthy or not? I'm pretty sure your opinion would be just as good as anyone else's. The last few years seeing different 'leading' health officials from around the world, I would literally take a slim looking homeless person's health advice more seriously. The title expert means absolutely zero in this day and age...

Really nice to know these monkeys are in great shape. 😁

Back