Jpeg v Raw

I love being quoted. But if your are going to do it do not misquote me. I never said that "your images will only even be seen at 1000 pixels wide" and a screen at US$20,000, that is more expensive than many cars. NB, I did not say all cars. You may think that US$3,000 is a fine price for a screen to view your photos on but I still believe you are in a distinct minority. You may also think that spending US$3K or US$4K on a camera and lens is just fine but the vast majority do not. This board is not an accurate summation of the real world. It is a collection of folks who willingly spend a lot of money to take photos. Other folks spend that money on boats, cars, guns, planes, travel, education and so on.

Here are some figures:

You will see that hobby photography is not much mentioned if at all. Subtract from that group the subset willing to go US10K+ for camera and screen and it will hardly fill a phone booth. Well, OK, more than a phone booth but still not a lot of people. They will not drive the market for 8K screens but they will use them as a specialized subset of screen viewers. Then add in software and accessories. Even smaller group. Let's face it, how much is being broadcast in 8K? Yeah, close your eyes and tell me what you see. And streaming is often compressed. I would assume that is why they all do upscaling, making it look like 8K. I think that the 8K screens may be out there but suspect that they will suffer the same fate as curved screens. A lot of money for a dubious gain. And there will be a consequential fall from favor, just like the curved screens. Of course I could be entirely wrong. It has happened more than once. Time will tell.

Later addition: I started poking around after seeing a "famous" bird photographers video on his tips. I noticed what screen he is using: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1650164-REG/eizo_coloredge_cg319x_31_1_monitor.html/overview

His tips, BTW, included shooting at a way higher ISO. Noise can be fixed in post, out of focus can never be fixed.

You'll note that I didn't say that you said that - I referred to it as a mantra, because I've seen it over and over (and over) in camera forums - so often it's irritating, which is why I referenced it in replying to you.

You'll also note that I found an 8k TV at US$1800, not the $3000 you referred to repeatedly. I'm not yet ready to buy a screen just to display my images, but it's reaching the point of affordability.

My point was that the tech is out there now, and I fully expect it to decrease in price, whether or not professional photographers can afford it today. I've already seen large 4k screens being used in store windows to provide continually changing displays. I can imagine 8k screens being used in the same way. It might even provide more work for the starving professional photographers out there, because an 8k screen is likely to require better images than a cell-phone 🙃

You'll note that I didn't say that you said that - I referred to it as a mantra, because I've seen it over and over (and over) in camera forums - so often it's irritating, which is why I referenced it in replying to you.

You'll also note that I found an 8k TV at US$1800, not the $3000 you referred to repeatedly. I'm not yet ready to buy a screen just to display my images, but it's reaching the point of affordability.

My point was that the tech is out there now, and I fully expect it to decrease in price, whether or not professional photographers can afford it today. I've already seen large 4k screens being used in store windows to provide continually changing displays. I can imagine 8k screens being used in the same way. It might even provide more work for the starving professional photographers out there, because an 8k screen is likely to require better images than a cell-phone 🙃

I think our disagreement centers on disposable income. Yes, you can find a cheap 8K monitor. Is it as good as a top of the line color corrected 4K monitor? How many people will stand close enough to the image to discern? Who will print an 8K image? And do not forget that what motivates you and some other involved photographers does not motivate the marketplace. Yes, 8K will get cheaper when the chip shortage is gone. But how long will it take for 8K monitors to deliver what the really good 4K monitors now deliver at ~$5K? There's a lot of variables in this and many are impediments to good cheap 8K monitors. Just that it can be made cheaply it does not mean it can be made well. In the wayback machine TV's cost about the same for size yet the Sony Trinitron got a bit more because it was quite a bit better. There may be similar differences in 8K monitors.

Last edited:
I think our disagreement centers on disposable income. Yes, you can find a cheap 8K monitor. Is it as good as a top of the line color corrected 4K monitor? How many people will stand close enough to the image to discern? Who will print an 8K image? And do not forget that what motivates you and some other involved photographers does not motivate the marketplace. Yes, 8K will get cheaper when the chip shortage is gone. But how long will it take for 8K monitors to deliver what the really good 4K monitors now deliver at ~$5K? There's a lot of variables in this and many are impediments to good cheap 8K monitors. Just that it can be made cheaply it does not mean it can be made well. In the wayback machine TV's cost about the same for size yet the Sony Trinitron got a bit more because it was quite a bit better. There may be similar differences in 8K monitors.

Entirely possible.

I think you triggered a response which has been building up for a long time - I am so tired of the oft-repeated “no one will ever see your image at more than a tiny resolution” thing. It comes along with statements like “no one needs more than X megapixels” where the number X varies, but it always seems to be a lot less than I am using :-D

Apologies if you were offended.

For US$5k you can get the Apple 6k monitor (which, despite the press it got about a stand, is actually rather good, I hear). That already offers a bit over double the resolution of a 4k Screen.

- - - -

Now I am pondering if there might be a high end market for those “digital picture frame” devices in seriously large sizes, possibly in a range of “qualities” ranging from “cheaper with somewhat dubious colour accuracy“ all the way up to “not cheap, but colour calibrated”. All the ones I have seen have been rather small and kinda tacky, but maybe the time is coming for something larger and better quality. Maybe even sell them with a discount for multiples so celebrities could have them in several rooms of their mansions :-D. Maybe not a big volume item, but vanity items do sell. If someone wants to run with the idea, they can have it - just give me one!

Entirely possible.

I think you triggered a response which has been building up for a long time - I am so tired of the oft-repeated “no one will ever see your image at more than a tiny resolution” thing. It comes along with statements like “no one needs more than X megapixels” where the number X varies, but it always seems to be a lot less than I am using :-D

Apologies if you were offended.

For US$5k you can get the Apple 6k monitor (which, despite the press it got about a stand, is actually rather good, I hear). That already offers a bit over double the resolution of a 4k Screen.

- - - -

Now I am pondering if there might be a high end market for those “digital picture frame” devices in seriously large sizes, possibly in a range of “qualities” ranging from “cheaper with somewhat dubious colour accuracy“ all the way up to “not cheap, but colour calibrated”. All the ones I have seen have been rather small and kinda tacky, but maybe the time is coming for something larger and better quality. Maybe even sell them with a discount for multiples so celebrities could have them in several rooms of their mansions :-D. Maybe not a big volume item, but vanity items do sell. If someone wants to run with the idea, they can have it - just give me one!

No harm. no foul.

Back