Name
Roland Ruesch
Country
United States
City/State
San Rafael, CA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have been watching a lot of youtube videos about landscape composition but I have not spent much time to apply the tips. I was wondering, what would you do with a picture like that for cropping.
Thanks

R7400214.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm F4 ZA OSS (SEL2470Z)
  • 68.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 125

I would not have the lighthouse centered, I would place it on one of the 3rd lines (and I prefer much wider ratios). Given that there isn't anything happening with the sky I would use less of the sea. Some might say don't have the horizon in the middle but with wide ratios I think it still works. Kind of like this:

Screenshot 2023-04-27 201706.jpg

If there was something happening in the sky you could go with something like this:

Screenshot 2023-04-27 202820.jpg

If you want to keep the 3:2 I would say less sky with more foreground but still shift the lighthouse like these:

Screenshot 2023-04-27 203222.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-27 203448.jpg

These would be better if I was using something other than snip-it to crop.

I ended up close to Davids's third effort. This crop satisfies several 'rules' for a pleasing view. It has a lot of rule of thirds in it. The lighthouse is directly in the upper right intersection. The ground is the lower third of the image, the water the middle third, and the sky the upper third. The rock formation is near the opposite ROT intersection from the lighthouse, creates a second subject and satisfies 'balance'. Lastly, the yellow flowers in the foreground offer interest and tend to draw the viewer in.

R7400214.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 68.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 125

iamdlewis and brownie
thanks for your help. I like your suggestion and I might have to bother you again for more pictures.

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos about landscape composition but I have not spent much time to apply the tips. I was wondering, what would you do with a picture like that for cropping.
Thanks

View attachment 37510

I like your original composition. I like the contrast play, it has a good balance. Balance: The middle ground with lighthouse stands in the center as the anchor. It is wrapped well. The upper left section has a cold blue tone, and the lower right has a warm yellow tone. The middle right sea section is filled with a dark rock. So the missing in here is only the ornament in the sky. Don't worry it's not your mistake, you cannot cast or summon clouds. I think this is a good start, and revisit when the sky is better. Timing: You choose a perfect timing, and I like it to be maintained because the shadow that fell on the lighthouse split it beautifully while also give a sufficient light to the houses at the back. Color: While I love the perfect sky blue gradation, the upper blue part of the sky is too strong to my taste. I am using color corrected monitor here, I believe I am seeing the correct color rendition. Are you using CPL? What I understand is, while the upper sky color was a bit unusual it actually matches the strong yellow field at the bottom. Somehow they both balance.

It's all I can read from your picture. Nice job man. Excellent picture.

Back