Sony A6600 Lens' for A6600

littlerody

Newcomer
Followers
Following
I think I have made up my mind to buy an A6600. It will be my first mirrorless camera. I'm looking for something to shoot photos of my children as they are playing hockey as well as to take travel photos.

I am eyeing up the Sony 70-350mm for hockey and the Sony E 16-55mm f2.8 for an all-purpose lens. Am I on the right track here? I've never had a Sony camera before.

i'm no expert, so take it with a grain of salt:

70-350 is likely a good focal range for hockey, but depending on the lighting, i'd suspect that it might be a tad slow. you might consider the 70-200F4 or 70-200 2.8 w/ teleconverter (depends on your experience and budget, of course)

for an all purpose lens, the 16-55 is a great lens no doubt, but depending on the types of scenarios you find yourself in you may want to consider the 18-135 it isn't as fast (obviously) but it is very compact and performs quite well in a very handy focal range.

*YMMV, void where prohibited, advice does not constitute coherent thought and should be taken as such.

While the 28-200 starts at 2.8, it ends at 5.6 so i guess it would depend on where you find yourself focally. the 70-180 is a fixed 2.8 though and seems to be well reviewed?

there is also a 70-200 2.8 sigma and tamaron for e mount that are about half the price of the sony.

I think I have made up my mind to buy an A6600. It will be my first mirrorless camera. I'm looking for something to shoot photos of my children as they are playing hockey as well as to take travel photos.

I am eyeing up the Sony 70-350mm for hockey and the Sony E 16-55mm f2.8 for an all-purpose lens. Am I on the right track here? I've never had a Sony camera before.
littlerody: I have both with the a6600, I use the 70-350mm for wildlife and some birds in flight which is challenging but not quite the same as a sporting event. This will do a good job outside, but not fast enough if you are going to do anything indoors (I do have a friend who has a daughter in volleyball and a son in swimming - he has used the Sony 70-200 f4 G oss to goo effect, constant f4). I also have the Sony 16-55mm f2.8 and this will be an excellent all around lens for travel and shots of the family at the park or in backyard - if I only want a small kit I take this and my Sigma 30mm f1.4, in case I need some indoor shots or anything with low light (or the Sigma 16mm f1.4 would work well too).

I have the A6400, and love the 70-350 outdoors. I am not sure it will be fast enough for the arena (my kids are no longer playing). Shooting inside with a white ice surface was always super challenging. It always seemed to read blue, or yellow, or the players were underexposed. (This was, before I knew enough to take a camera off auto mode. I wish I could go back and re-photograph now that I have more knowledge). Experiment with your white balance settings. And your exposure compensation. That being said.....it is FAB outdoors. Wildlife, soccer, skiing, safari.....just amazing. Fab reach.
The 16-55f2.8 is always on my camera. Love, Love, Love it. And......if I can suggest something further, the Sigma 16mm 1.4 is a low light wonder.

I have the A6400, and love the 70-350 outdoors. I am not sure it will be fast enough for the arena (my kids are no longer playing). Shooting inside with a white ice surface was always super challenging. It always seemed to read blue, or yellow, or the players were underexposed. (This was, before I knew enough to take a camera off auto mode. I wish I could go back and re-photograph now that I have more knowledge). Experiment with your white balance settings. And your exposure compensation. That being said.....it is FAB outdoors. Wildlife, soccer, skiing, safari.....just amazing. Fab reach.
The 16-55f2.8 is always on my camera. Love, Love, Love it. And......if I can suggest something further, the Sigma 16mm 1.4 is a low light wonder.
I have this exact combo. The lens needs ample light for excellent results but can achieve them indoors if set up to do so.

Since this thread was started, Tamron introduced their 17-70 f2.8, which is another worthy contender for all-in-one lens with modest zoom. While the 18-135 lives on my camera most of the time, I'll be getting this Tamron soon for its ability to take better pictures indoors in low-light conditions.

The 70-350 discussed above remains one of the best zoom lenses for the APSC lineup

Back