Lens recommendations for a7riv

I just picked up a used A7R4 so I cannot attest to using these lens on that camera I have been using them on my Sony A7R3, since you have posted this in the Astro / Celestial section I assuming that is what your asking for.

I have had great success using the Sony 16-35 mm F/2.8 GM, but really love using the Sony FE 24 mm f/1.4. I am really eyeing the new Sony FE 12-24 mm f/2.8 but I'm not sure yet.

The images of the the Milky Way arch here, the Watchman at Zion, and White Pocket lonely tree where all taken with the 24 mm f/1.4. The bus, the person with arms raised, and Delicate Arch where taken with the 16-35 mm.

Attachments

• calling to the stars-2.jpg
    calling to the stars-2.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Watchman Milky Way 4.jpg
    Watchman Milky Way 4.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 98
  • celstial loner 3.jpg
    celstial loner 3.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Milky Way Campo Bus.jpg
    Milky Way Campo Bus.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Little Laguna the power 2.jpg
    Little Laguna the power 2.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Delicate Arch Milky Way 2.jpg
    Delicate Arch Milky Way 2.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 91
Complete beginner here for astrophotography. I am fascinated by some of the shots I have seen and trying to get into astrophotography.

I own the ZEISS Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens which I usually use for architecture. Did anybody use it to shoot stars?

I just picked up a used A7R4 so I cannot attest to using these lens on that camera I have been using them on my Sony A7R3, since you have posted this in the Astro / Celestial section I assuming that is what your asking for.

I have had great success using the Sony 16-35 mm F/2.8 GM, but really love using the Sony FE 24 mm f/1.4. I am really eyeing the new Sony FE 12-24 mm f/2.8 but I'm not sure yet.

The images of the the Milky Way arch here, the Watchman at Zion, and White Pocket lonely tree where all taken with the 24 mm f/1.4. The bus, the person with arms raised, and Delicate Arch where taken with the 16-35 mm.
These are quite lovely and informative.

Brilliant pictures sdhiker. I've been hanging my nose over various lenses including those you have/mention as well as the 20mm.... The two you have would do me just fine (y)

Complete beginner here for astrophotography. I am fascinated by some of the shots I have seen and trying to get into astrophotography.

I own the ZEISS Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens which I usually use for architecture. Did anybody use it to shoot stars?

Here‘s a review on the 18mm for astrophotography.

I have used my Zeiss Batis 25 f2 in the past. I would like something wider and faster thats affordable.
It depends on what you regard as affordable.
The 18mm f2 Batis is an option but isn’t cheap (unless you trade your 25mm in). I have the Sony 16-35mm f4 which is excellent but not faster. What is it going to be used for primarily?

Brilliant pictures sdhiker. I've been hanging my nose over various lenses including those you have/mention as well as the 20mm.... The two you have would do me just fine (y)
Yeah, I love both of those lens, especially the 24 mm f/1.4. I did give into my G.A.S and picked up the new 12-24 f/2.8. I will have to play with it for a while and decide if its worth keeping the 16-35 f/2.8.

Here‘s a review on the 18mm for astrophotography.
Thanks a lot for sharing. This is a great review. I loved the fact that ZEISS Batis 18mm f/2.8 came highly recommended: 4.8/5.

Back