Followers
Following
Name
Dave Le
Country
United States
City/State
Minneapolis
I need help choosing between the two, please help. Top or bottom and why?
_DSC1511.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS
  • 137.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

_DSC1515.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

Both are beautiful shots! The top one looks a bit busy so I prefer the second one. I also like the longer pier, the photo looks less cramped.

I prefer the second. The pier guides my eye to the lighthouse. Lighthouses tend to be in pretty exposed places and the second one brings that feeling.

The first shot is a much better composition. Your eye is led to the lighthouse and then to the vast lake beyond. The second shot is awkward. The lighthouse has no room to the left and feels cramped, your eye comes to a halt.

My opinion only:
The rocks are distracting because they are a bit too far into the frame to be foreground, almost as if they're cutting into your intended view . Perhaps a wide crop to put the rocks on the bottom of the frame would help here?

Second shot feels like it had better potential...
Again, you could crop the bottom so the rocks are along the bottom of the frame.
or
How about a portrait crop with the lighthouse on the left rule of thirds line and the rocks a bit lower in the frame? just thinking out loud. Of course a portrait shot begs for a more interesting sky (like dramatic clouds or a sunrise/set) but it is what it is.

New in Marketplace

Back