Lockdown street images

Chris

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
One from the height of lockdown. We ventured out for a bit of Govt approved exercise and decided that we would go to the centre of Manchester, as less people, two of us shielding and going really stir crazy so we wanted somewhere safe - ie very few people.

We didn't expect it to be totally deserted, even mid week during the day! I doubt we will ever see this again... It was spooky and eerie - the only time I ever saw a city this deserted was when we visited Pripyat...

Make the most of what you have and always carry a camera as you will never know what there is to see, or in this case not to see.

I processed these quite heavily afterwards to give a bleach bypass effect and accentuate the harshness of the images with no people. 20200506-Lockdown-manchester-24-2.jpg 20200506-Lockdown-manchester-11.jpg 20200506-Lockdown-manchester-12-2.jpg 20200506-Lockdown-manchester-18.jpg

#4's the pick for me.

Maybe lift the shadows on the left building?

So weird seeing empty streets around the world.

It was utterly bizzare. The thing that really got me was the silence - there was nothing. I think that was the most powerful feeling - until a tram went past and made a rumble it was so detatched from reality that everything was quite otherworldly.

I really had some contrasting thoughts about shooting empty streets. I really wanted to but on the other hand it was almost like I felt I should stay safe myself & also not capitalize on other people's suffering. It was some weird thoughts going through my head. Here where I live in the states, most people pretend it's all a joke. Lots of people everywhere. No governmental control or anything. I was on my way to London from Athens when this all hit, so I was evacuated quickly.

Back