Looking for Strap for 200-600 Lens

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

yyjDennis

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dennis Cloutier
I've been out with my shiny new A1 and 200-600 lens a few times now and I'm not happy with my camera strap. I've been hand holding, so I'm not carrying a tripod. I have the Peak Design Slide attached to the lugs on the lens, but the strap isn't long enough to use cross body unless I want the camera body in my armpit. I do like the fact that with it attached to the lens lugs it hangs vertically which keeps it out of the way.

I also have one of the sling straps that attaches to a lug that screws into the tripod threads on the lens foot. That works ok, but the lens hangs horizontally and seems to swing around more than I like.

Has anyone used the cotton carriers with this lens? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've been using Peak Design Leash in a similar fashion (cross body) on my 6400 + 200-600, and it is more than long enough. I can't say for sure, but on Peak Design web site it looks longer than the Slide.

Black Rapid Sport. Single fixing point, fits across the chest and holds your gear at your side. It's the only strap I have used for 8 years and won't ever change. Brilliant bit of kit.

I've been using Peak Design Leash in a similar fashion (cross body) on my 6400 + 200-600, and it is more than long enough. I can't say for sure, but on Peak Design web site it looks longer than the Slide.
I can also add that Peak Design has pretty good support as well as great products. They offer support via Support via Text @ 1-415-801-0250. I have used that option and the support was good.

I fairly recently converted to Peak Design and I really like the straps and their system is truly ingenious! On my 200-600mm I've still got an Op/Tech strap on the lens itself, as well as a Peak Design strap on the camera body. I haven't really taken the Bazooka too many places -- most of the time since I've had the lens we were in lockdown and places where I would normally go to shoot were unavailable and although now things have opened up I still haven't gotten there with that lens. I have used her at home shooting from my deck to capture the geese and ducks on the lake. I do need to use her on the tripod, though, with a Wimberley gimbal; the Bazooka is just too awkward and heavy for me to try and handhold or to carry on a walk-around kind of excursion.

I use a Peak Design Slide Lite connected to the two strap lugs on the 200-600 - that’s what they are there for ;)

I would not carry that lens via a strap on the camera body.

Last edited:
I agree -- I definitely would not carry that lens anywhere without both straps! Even just walking from the house to the deck I have both straps around my neck and the lens, with camera mounted, firmly clutched in my arms.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back