Sdawes

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
After much research and deliberation I finally made it out this month to take my first ever images of the Milky Way . I enjoyed the shoot but am finding the processing of the images quite challenging compared to my normal wildlife photography. I have much to learn but was quite pleased for a first attempt . I am finding a few strange tones in my sky the reason for which I dont understand , could it be the high MP of the A1 or am I introducing the tones as a result of trying to enhance the MW core in post processing ? Plenty to ponder as I eagerly await the next new moon phase and hopefully some cloudless skies. This image was a stack of 16 images stacked in Sequator and then processed .
_SCD4305p-2.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 20mm F1.8 G
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1600

This is where I would like to venture one day as well as I like these sort of shots.

Quite good for a first attempt. Congratulations!

Wow, for a "first attempt" I'd say you nailed it!

Top notch Steve. One day I will give it a go.

Wow, for a "first attempt" I'd say you nailed it!
Thanks Chris but not happy with the green and purple tints in the sky , some people on other forums have suggested its airglow whilst others feel it could be a result of my processing technique so more work needed to try and eliminate it if possible

Very nice shot.

I have seen the same issue with introducing those green and purple tints in some of mine and suspect that it has to do with the processing, but also still trying to figure it out.

I think it's excellent. You don't need a "first try" qualifier.

After much research and deliberation I finally made it out this month to take my first ever images of the Milky Way . I enjoyed the shoot but am finding the processing of the images quite challenging compared to my normal wildlife photography. I have much to learn but was quite pleased for a first attempt . I am finding a few strange tones in my sky the reason for which I dont understand , could it be the high MP of the A1 or am I introducing the tones as a result of trying to enhance the MW core in post processing ? Plenty to ponder as I eagerly await the next new moon phase and hopefully some cloudless skies. This image was a stack of 16 images stacked in Sequator and then processed .View attachment 45775

I only noticed your exposure settings now and wondering why you chose not to use maximum aperture and also why not a longer exposure and lower ISO (assuming you were using a tripod) ?

I only noticed your exposure settings now and wondering why you chose not to use maximum aperture and also why not a longer exposure and lower ISO (assuming you were using a tripod) ?
That has picked up the settings for the foreground which I took in the blue hour , the sky was shot wide open at F1.8 , 13 secs and ISO 3200, stacked blended and edited in PS

Yours looks great to me.
I had a go when I was out in Botswana for my first astro shot. I was slightly hampered by 1) I didn't know what I was doing and 2) lions were freely roaming around our campsite at night!
In the photo you can see the top of the tent, I was trying to balance the tripod around the outside (open air but enclosed) loo (i.e. a hole in the ground...)

A1A08230-Enhanced-NR-Edit fb.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • SAMYANG AF 14mm F2.8
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 10 sec
  • ISO 5000

Far better than I think I could do as this is on avenue I would like to have a go at.
So well done on beating me to it and well done on the shots.

Back