Sdawes

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Milky Way rising above Craig Goch dam in the Elan Valley , Mid Wales . My first attempt at light painting on the dam wall and valve tower as I could not see them from my shooting position as it was that dark.
_SCD4730-Craig Goch dam.jpg

For a first attempt at light painting that looks pretty darn good Steve!

For a first attempt at light painting that looks pretty darn good Steve!
Thanks Tim , I had taken my planned foreground image just before it got too dark with the intention of using that, at the end of the shoot I shot six frames light painting the wall and tower and this was the best of the bunch but thought it looked quite effective so used that instead.

No metadata? nice shot
Thanks Gary , probably because it is a combination of 30 stacked sky images and one foreground image at different settings. All taken with the A1 and Sony 20mm F1.8mm lens , sky was 20 images at 10sec F1.8 ISO 6400 plus 10 dark images at the same settings and one foreground images 15secs F4 ISO 1000 , sky and darks stacked and then blended with the foreground in PS.

Thanks Gary , probably because it is a combination of 30 stacked sky images and one foreground image at different settings. All taken with the A1 and Sony 20mm F1.8mm lens , sky was 20 images at 10sec F1.8 ISO 6400 plus 10 dark images at the same settings and one foreground images 15secs F4 ISO 1000 , sky and darks stacked and then blended with the foreground in PS.
yep I knew it would be a tech involved shot, for now it not for me to get involved in so I will admire yours

Milky Way rising above Craig Goch dam in the Elan Valley , Mid Wales . My first attempt at light painting on the dam wall and valve tower as I could not see them from my shooting position as it was that dark.
View attachment 46691
What a great image. I know the location well as I've recently vacationed in the area a couple of times (before I started photography). We used to stay at a wonderful place near by called the Drawing Room (great food) but unfortunately, it has recently closed. I would like to know your stacking process, and what software you used and the exposure info for the sky and foreground. I'd like to try something similar. Presumably you didn't use a tracker? Very nice image.

View attachment 46691

That looks stunning.

What a great image. I know the location well as I've recently vacationed in the area a couple of times (before I started photography). We used to stay at a wonderful place near by called the Drawing Room (great food) but unfortunately, it has recently closed. I would like to know your stacking process, and what software you used and the exposure info for the sky and foreground. I'd like to try something similar. Presumably you didn't use a tracker? Very nice image.
Thanks Ed , the exposure info is quoted above in my reply to Gary , I have only recently started doing some nightsky photography as its always interested me and is very different to my first love of Wildlife . I dont possess a tracker and have no plans to purchase one at this stage but I have'nt completely ruled it out as a possibility in future. As for the stacking the 20 sky images and 10 dark images were stacked in a software programme called Sequator which is free for windows PC's ( the mac equivalent is Starry Landscape Stacker but it is not free and has to be bought ) . Sequator does a great job and produces a single hi res Tiff file which I then blended with my light painted foreground in PS. Hoping to get back down there before the Milky Way Core season ends and try a shot over one of the other dams .

Back