• ISO 100
Moon 17-10-2021 (29).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100
shots with her phone. So I had to try to get better shots.
I put the date and time on the shots so you can see just how much it has moved and rotated with the last 2 shots.

Wow! Really like these.

Nicely done. Very nice.

If we get a clear, dry night I should try with the Tamron 500 mm f/8.0 mirror lens. The operative here is "If we get a clear, dry night . . . " LOL They do happen now and again but with a full moon? Gotta work some roots and bones to make that happen. Between the yeti and the rain, staying inside at night is getting the nod. LOL

Wow! Really like these.
Thank you
Nicely done. Very nice.

If we get a clear, dry night I should try with the Tamron 500 mm f/8.0 mirror lens. The operative here is "If we get a clear, dry night . . . " LOL They do happen now and again but with a full moon? Gotta work some roots and bones to make that happen. Between the yeti and the rain, staying inside at night is getting the nod. LOL
I wish I had a longer reaching lens for all the reason you will know about.
But I am sure the images will improve more with a longer lens.
And I want to get far better at this and just a word on the moon shot.
A non full moon is more interesting to photograph and you get to see the craters better around the edge.
So I much prefer it in this sort of stage. This is my opinion for what it's worth.

Thank you

I wish I had a longer reaching lens for all the reason you will know about.
But I am sure the images will improve more with a longer lens.
And I want to get far better at this and just a word on the moon shot.
A non full moon is more interesting to photograph and you get to see the craters better around the edge.
So I much prefer it in this sort of stage. This is my opinion for what it's worth.

Lessons from Oz. Thanks for the non-full moon tip. Practice. The great Eddy Merckx, the world's most successful racing bicyclist, was asked how to get good like him on a bike. Eddy suggested that the fellow ride his bike a lot. And this, the Jesuit motto of learning is, "Repititio, repititio, repititio." And one more about a fellow lost in Brooklyn and looking for the famous Paramount theater. He asks a local how to get to the Paramount. The local replies, "Practice." There is no royal road to learning, we must all struggle on the same path.

Last edited:
Nicely done Ralph

My wife told me the moon was out as she got a fewView attachment 13718View attachment 13719View attachment 13720View attachment 13721 shots with her phone. So I had to try to get better shots.
I put the date and time on the shots so you can see just how much it has moved and rotated with the last 2 shots.
Seeing
My wife told me the moon was out as she got a fewView attachment 13718View attachment 13719View attachment 13720View attachment 13721 shots with her phone. So I had to try to get better shots.
Seeing what you just got with 400mm certainly motivates me to get something better than my 55 - 210 mm lens!
That's truly impressive! Mine shows the craters as well, but not near as much detail as you got!

Seeing

Seeing what you just got with 400mm certainly motivates me to get something better than my 55 - 210 mm lens!
That's truly impressive! Mine shows the craters as well, but not near as much detail as you got!
I think for what size the zoom is it has worked out okay. I am now looking at getting the 600mm and then the shots should show even more.
And the way to look at it is you have to go with what you have and accept those results.
But at the same time seeing what others are getting with bigger lenses can give you the right push to move to a bigger lens.

Back