Moved to Sony A7iii Camera gear from Nikon ecosystem yesterday - small query

PRSS

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Sivakumar PRS
Hello All !

I am just new to Sony Forum & happy to be in it ! Also new to Sony gear. Bought a Sony A7iii with 24-105mm F/4 G lens, 12-24mm F/4 G lens, 18-200mm F/2.8 GM OSS lens, yesterday and started using it. I am a hobbyist photographer. I use Single Frame, Single Focus mode. The rectangle representing the focus point could be changed from large to small. For general landscape photography, should this be small, medium or large ? I haven't come across this with my Nikon D500 / D7000 cameras. They had just one size only - a small rectangle. Sony A7ii has 3 sizes - hence the confusion. Thanks in advance.
With best regards
PRSS

I'm not sure if I'm even answering the correct question but if you are referring to the Focus Area, I would try "Wide". I've heard that this is not the Nikon way but the Alpha cameras have a superior Auto Focus system and "Wide" works very well.

Thank you very much Jeff. What I am exactly referring is to the rectangular single focus mark which you could move around to any spot on the screen either by touch (which I have disabled) or with the joy stick button. The rectangle could be set as a tiny rectangle or as a medium or as large. It is just one rectangle mark only. Hope you too assumed it so. Thanks in advance again.
Best Regards
PRSS

Welcome Sivakumar and thank you for joining up here. Regarding the focus point size. For landscapes you'll probably be fine with a larger focus point which will also be easier to see. The smaller focus points are more useful when your subject is very small and possibly partially hidden, like a small bird perched in a tree surrounded by branches and leaves that a larger focus area might lock on to.

Thank you very much Timothy Mayo ! Now it is quite clear to me.
Best Regards
PRSS

One thing to consider about landscapes is the depth of the image. Unless focus stacking, the old rule of thumb was to focus about 1/3 of the way into the shot and let the camera's DOF take it from there. If you choose too large of a focus area it could hinder that approach.

Thank you very much Brownie for the tips. I understand now.

Back