Moving out of auto in Brisbane

las872091

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Sally
Hi All,
Thanks for accepting my request to join.
Hoping you can all help me with a little in house competition going on. We have recently bought a telescope etc and it sparked an interest in astrophotography in the house. First of the problems being we have only ever used cameras on the auto and sports settings.
So now our competition is on to see who can learn and get the best shots using shutter speed, aperture and iso. With settings likely to be on bushwalks, beach visits, clear night skies etc.
I am using a Sony A6000 and my partner has chosen a Canon for his weapon of choice.
Wish us luck and any tips, throw them my way please!

Attachments

• DSC03129.JPG
    DSC03129.JPG
    373.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC03135.JPG
    DSC03135.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC03188 (2).JPG
    DSC03188 (2).JPG
    39 KB · Views: 34
Welcome to the forum!
There aren't any magical settings that work in all scenarios, but you'll get better as you practice and get to know your camera and the basics of The Exposure Triangle. Out of curiosity, what lens are you using (assume the kit 16-50?) and what gear is your partner using? If you're both using APSC sensor cameras, you can both learn from each other as you review the results taken with different shutter speeds, apertures, and ISO levels.

I love the idea of a friendly competition with one's partner, but since my wife uses her iPhone and doesn't have to faff around with a "proper" camera, she almost always wins 😅 Never underestimate the amount of processing that modern smart devices do for you, because if not you might feel disappointed or impatient with the learning curve of your a6000.

Welcome Sally and thanks for joining up here! The lens choice will make a big difference for astro, you'll often want a nice fast aperture. Something like the Rokinon / Samyang 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS. It's a manual focus lens but for astro that's perfect. You'll need to experiment with the bulb mode for longer exposures or use a remote shutter release. A sturdy tripod is also a must!

Hi Sally,
I think you'll get some good advice here. What lens options do you have for that a6000? It's a great little camera.
It won't take you long to grasp the ISO, shutter speed and aperure "triangle" concept (for want of a better phrase) and you be showing hubby what's what.

Welcome and with birds and animals make sure you have your focus on the eye.
Let the camera worry about the rest of it.
Way too many myself included miss the eye focus and this makes for a lesser shot.
I am learning to get it right so it doesn't especially with me come over night.
And as said there is no one setting that is best. You have to learn your camera and then go from there.
Some have told me that the back button focus is the best thing since sliced bread, I beg to differ.
With me and my camera this just doesn't work but it could for you.
So don't believe everything but try everything until you and your camera are working as a team.
All the best as well.

Back