Sony A1 My A1, the 1.4 tc, some kit and thoughts so far.

mark.s

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mark Sturman
I've had the A1 for a few weeks now and initially bought the 100-400 as an intermediate lens, the 600f4 is paid for and on order, maybe I'll see it before Christmas if I'm lucky.
Realising the smaller lens didn't quite have the reach I wanted, although I knew this but didn't quite anticipate how hard it would be getting the f4, I bought the 200-600 as a daily user.
All lenses will serve a purpose at varying times, so none will be wasted money.

These are obviously just my thoughts from my short time with the new set-up but the 1.4 tc works extremely well with the 100-400, although limiting me to f8, it didn't seem to soften the end product too much, which in the first instance were Snow Buntings on a beach, on a rather nice and bright day.
I tried the 1.4 tc with the 200-600 today as an experiment and it's nowhere near as sharp as with the smaller lens and limiting to f9 as a starter, on Kingfishers today.
It's not bad, it's just not great and to be honest, is about where I expected it to be and I'm sure it will come into its own when the f4 arrives.
Maybe it was just the woeful light today because that never helps, hey, it's that time of the year when you either get lucky or not, no problem.
I also had a dabble with crop sensor mode, just to see, hmmm, I doubt if it will get much use but nice to have at a press of a button.

My big bag arrived today when I was out, I can now put the lens coat in it and one day, the lens too.
I bought the Ruggard Alpine 600 from B&H, I can't fault them. Communication was superb as was the delivery and communication from DHL.
I ordered it Tuesday, it was shipped Wednesday and arrived here at my house in the U.K. early this afternoon, Friday.
My only gripe with these big lens bags is that manufacturers must think we go out all day with the cameras and never need a drink.
There's a pocket on the side which tapers inwards to the bottom of it and is too small to hold anything worthy of a drink, [opposite side to the tripod holder].
Again, I knew this was the case prior to purchase but needed something that's comfortable and will take the set-up with ease, I just wish they'd think outide the box a bit and realise there's more to photography than just the equipment, I will e-mail them about that minor hiccup to an otherwise good bag, they'll probably file it in the bin. :) .

Yeah, just a few thoughts.

Great write-up Mark! I hope you are working on your arms for when the 600 F4 arrives! :) They do seem to be difficult to get hold of right now, luckily I don't have the money for one anyway!

Great write-up Mark! I hope you are working on your arms for when the 600 F4 arrives! :) They do seem to be difficult to get hold of right now, luckily I don't have the money for one anyway!
Thank you. I knew the f4 would take time and I've been assured that it's being made, that's as much as I can give in terms of feedback on that issue, although I will add something regarding communication at a later date.
I may add the x2.0 converter at a later date but need that big lens to arrive first, just so I can try it with the x1.4.
As for the weight issue, I spent twenty years of my life as a Royal Marine, plenty of experience with carrying heavy loads. To counteract that, age and injuries are the biggest hindrance, I can do sod all about either except realise my limits and work within their boundaries.
Still waiting...........................

F-stop Shinn with the internal ICU of your choice or no ICU. When I need more room I leave the ICU out and made a 5mm neoprene dry bag to hold my Nikon 800mm so there is loads of room left for the camping/climbing gear. I use the Lowepro 600AW as a storage bag for the lens in the car or at home, I would never take it hiking.

Thank you. I knew the f4 would take time and I've been assured that it's being made, that's as much as I can give in terms of feedback on that issue, although I will add something regarding communication at a later date.
I may add the x2.0 converter at a later date but need that big lens to arrive first, just so I can try it with the x1.4.
As for the weight issue, I spent twenty years of my life as a Royal Marine, plenty of experience with carrying heavy loads. To counteract that, age and injuries are the biggest hindrance, I can do sod all about either except realise my limits and work within their boundaries.
Still waiting...........................
It would certainly make a nice Christmas present if it arrives before then! There are quite a few using the 2x tele with the 600 F4 in the Alpha Wildlife Shooters Group on Facebook. I think the big 400 and 600 primes manage it better than the 100-400 and 200-600. I guess with 20 years in the marines the 600 F4 will feel like a feather to you! :) I have an old shoulder injury and could certainly feel it niggling when I rented the 600 F4, but that wouldn't stop me buying one if I had the money burning a hole in my pocket!

I've had the A1 for a few weeks now and initially bought the 100-400 as an intermediate lens, the 600f4 is paid for and on order, maybe I'll see it before Christmas if I'm lucky.
Realising the smaller lens didn't quite have the reach I wanted, although I knew this but didn't quite anticipate how hard it would be getting the f4, I bought the 200-600 as a daily user.
All lenses will serve a purpose at varying times, so none will be wasted money.

These are obviously just my thoughts from my short time with the new set-up but the 1.4 tc works extremely well with the 100-400, although limiting me to f8, it didn't seem to soften the end product too much, which in the first instance were Snow Buntings on a beach, on a rather nice and bright day.
I tried the 1.4 tc with the 200-600 today as an experiment and it's nowhere near as sharp as with the smaller lens and limiting to f9 as a starter, on Kingfishers today.
It's not bad, it's just not great and to be honest, is about where I expected it to be and I'm sure it will come into its own when the f4 arrives.
Maybe it was just the woeful light today because that never helps, hey, it's that time of the year when you either get lucky or not, no problem.
I also had a dabble with crop sensor mode, just to see, hmmm, I doubt if it will get much use but nice to have at a press of a button.

My big bag arrived today when I was out, I can now put the lens coat in it and one day, the lens too.
I bought the Ruggard Alpine 600 from B&H, I can't fault them. Communication was superb as was the delivery and communication from DHL.
I ordered it Tuesday, it was shipped Wednesday and arrived here at my house in the U.K. early this afternoon, Friday.
My only gripe with these big lens bags is that manufacturers must think we go out all day with the cameras and never need a drink.
There's a pocket on the side which tapers inwards to the bottom of it and is too small to hold anything worthy of a drink, [opposite side to the tripod holder].
Again, I knew this was the case prior to purchase but needed something that's comfortable and will take the set-up with ease, I just wish they'd think outide the box a bit and realise there's more to photography than just the equipment, I will e-mail them about that minor hiccup to an otherwise good bag, they'll probably file it in the bin. :) .

Yeah, just a few thoughts.
I had the same experience with the 1.4xTC on the two zooms and sold the 200-600. Tim's test came up with a different result though.
But there are of course a number of influences on sharpness.

New in Marketplace

Back