Name
David Daw
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Bury St Edmunds
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
This is my first ever street portrait and boy did it take some nerve to overcome my shyness and ask for permission to take a photo. Of course, the reality was that he was really pleased that I thought him worthy of a shot and was only too happy to be pictured. I got a great buzz from doing this and will be doing much more in the future, so my recommendation is to take the bull by the horns and just ask some random person in the street. The absolute worst thing that can happen is a no.
DSC00208.JPG
  • ILCE-7RM2
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 56.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 160

I occasionally ask "characters" if I can take a shot of them, never had an outright refusal, but I prefer candids on the whole.

Nice work. Funny you post this today because just a few hours ago I was out with a fellow photographer (doing nature) and he mentioned trying to overcome his timidity in asking people to take their photos for street photography. He also said people are usually pleased and no one has turned him down.

This is my first ever street portrait and boy did it take some nerve to overcome my shyness and ask for permission to take a photo. Of course, the reality was that he was really pleased that I thought him worthy of a shot and was only too happy to be pictured. I got a great buzz from doing this and will be doing much more in the future, so my recommendation is to take the bull by the horns and just ask some random person in the street. The absolute worst thing that can happen is a no.View attachment 30873
Really nice shot. I also don't like asking people for permission, and prefer taking candid shots. This is where the 70-200mm comes in real handy. However, no harm in asking people for a shot. A couple of years ago, I was out in London with my wife. She had just completed some retail theraphy. As we stepped out of a shop on Carnaby Street, two young Japanese girls started followed us and were chattering away in Japanese the entire time. Eventually, they stopped us and asked (in not very good English) if they could photograph my wife. My wife is quite shy and hates having her photograph taken so I was surprised when she agreed. The girls took dozens of photographs, even posing my wife. It turns out that the girls were fashion students from Tokyo on a working holiday in London. I admiried them for asking permission, especially when they were in a foreign country and were not native speakers. I guess if they can do it, we all can do it, but you need to pick your subject carefully.

Last edited:
Here are a couple more recent street portraits shot in Cambridge. I just bought a used Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens with the express intent of taking more of this type of shot. Having spent the money, I now have to get out and approach people.
DSC00292a.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM2
  • SAMYANG AF 85mm F1.4
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC00298a.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM2
  • SAMYANG AF 85mm F1.4
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

This is my first ever street portrait and boy did it take some nerve to overcome my shyness and ask for permission to take a photo. Of course, the reality was that he was really pleased that I thought him worthy of a shot and was only too happy to be pictured. I got a great buzz from doing this and will be doing much more in the future, so my recommendation is to take the bull by the horns and just ask some random person in the street. The absolute worst thing that can happen is a no.View attachment 30873

It’s definitely challenging to ask. I’ve only taken a couple of shots as cold calls but I found a reason to interact first. They notice the camera gear. If they say anything about it then I say to myself “yes”!

Most of mine are by interrupting people taking selfies or trying to take an image of their group, and I ask them if I can help.

I've often thought the same thing. i'd like to give this a go it's having the confidence. Nice one keep its informed.

Back