Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Hey @FowlersFreeTime or anyone else with video knowledge:

The most I ever do with video is push the red button and take whatever it spits out. I figure as long as it's as good as my Betamax it'll be fine. :p

I have need for some low light settings that will see limited use. This will be on an A7 IV, but I am assuming (probably incorrectly) that general low light settings from camera to camera are similar. :unsure:

I have no idea what Vlog, Slog, cine-stuff is. I don't know about sample rates or anything else. I'm unlikely to need this in the future (but will likely save it to a custom mode in video just in case) so not looking for deep learning, just some quick down and dirty settings. Will likely be using a 35/1.4 or 24/1.8.

Thanks for any help.

Yessir! Are you filming at the drag strip or slower moving subjects?

Sorry man, weekend flew by, hope this isn't too late.

Frame rate and exposure:
Cinematic feel: 24fps, 1/50 shutter speed
More sports or documentary feel: 30fps, 1/60 shutter speed
Pick one of the above to be the frame rate of your finished product. I Forget what this rule is called (180 shutter rule?) but its a carryover from film days and basically says for smooth footage (eye-pleasing motion blur) your shutter speed should be double your frame rate.

If you want "slow-mo" you can film at a higher frame rate (like 60fps, 1/120) and slow it down in post production relevant to the frame rate you chose for your project/timeline. So if you want your video to be 30fps, and you have a 60fps clip, apply a 0.5x speed modifier to that clip. In this way you can mix and match clips so your final product is consistent.

I know you asked about low light, but I wanted to start there so you knew what kind of exposure settings you'd be looking at. Now you can add ISO as needed to brighten the scene. Filming in daylight, film makers often have the opposite problem and need ND filters!

Not to get too far off topic, but the FX cameras (and A7SIII) have what i believe is called dual base iso, and it means that the sensor yields the minimum noise at those particular iso. I do not believe the A7IV has this feature, so use the ISO as you see fit.

Sorry man, weekend flew by, hope this isn't too late.

Frame rate and exposure:
Cinematic feel: 24fps, 1/50 shutter speed
More sports or documentary feel: 30fps, 1/60 shutter speed
Pick one of the above to be the frame rate of your finished product. I Forget what this rule is called (180 shutter rule?) but its a carryover from film days and basically says for smooth footage (eye-pleasing motion blur) your shutter speed should be double your frame rate.

If you want "slow-mo" you can film at a higher frame rate (like 60fps, 1/120) and slow it down in post production relevant to the frame rate you chose for your project/timeline. So if you want your video to be 30fps, and you have a 60fps clip, apply a 0.5x speed modifier to that clip. In this way you can mix and match clips so your final product is consistent.

I know you asked about low light, but I wanted to start there so you knew what kind of exposure settings you'd be looking at. Now you can add ISO as needed to brighten the scene. Filming in daylight, film makers often have the opposite problem and need ND filters!

Not to get too far off topic, but the FX cameras (and A7SIII) have what i believe is called dual base iso, and it means that the sensor yields the minimum noise at those particular iso. I do not believe the A7IV has this feature, so use the ISO as you see fit.
Most Sony FF cameras have dual gain amplifiers. They have a native ISO of 100 and a second one wherever Sony engineers thought best. The A7 IV's second one is at 400.

Thanks for the info. This is literally going to be a short clip with as little post as possible. Hadn't planned on any slow motion, but might be fun to try.

For bit rate and resolution, your camera has waaaaay more choices than mine. But if you have the memory space and processing power on your computer to edit big files, choose any 4k XAVC 4:2:2 setting above 100Mbps. You might need to do a test file to see how your computer handles the file.

Video nerds, cover your ears... Tim, you don't need s-log, s-cinetone, or really any picture profile, unless you want to color grade in post production. You can shoot with picture profile off, or look for a neutral profile. What is more important is to set your white balance (preferably with a gray card) and keep it on that manual setting throughout the shoot. This will ensure all your clips look consistent. Of course if the lighting available is changing neon lights I can't help you there lol.

Hey @FowlersFreeTime or anyone else with video knowledge:

The most I ever do with video is push the red button and take whatever it spits out. I figure as long as it's as good as my Betamax it'll be fine. :p

I have need for some low light settings that will see limited use. This will be on an A7 IV, but I am assuming (probably incorrectly) that general low light settings from camera to camera are similar. :unsure:

I have no idea what Vlog, Slog, cine-stuff is. I don't know about sample rates or anything else. I'm unlikely to need this in the future (but will likely save it to a custom mode in video just in case) so not looking for deep learning, just some quick down and dirty settings. Will likely be using a 35/1.4 or 24/1.8.

Thanks for any help.
Press the red button Tim this is beyond my pay grade, maybe one day I will give it ago but again I will wing it until I get the hang of it, its way more fun messing it up, ;) I learn faster that way

For bit rate and resolution, your camera has waaaaay more choices than mine. But if you have the memory space and processing power on your computer to edit big files, choose any 4k XAVC 4:2:2 setting above 100Mbps. You might need to do a test file to see how your computer handles the file.

Video nerds, cover your ears... Tim, you don't need s-log, s-cinetone, or really any picture profile, unless you want to color grade in post production. You can shoot with picture profile off, or look for a neutral profile. What is more important is to set your white balance (preferably with a gray card) and keep it on that manual setting throughout the shoot. This will ensure all your clips look consistent. Of course if the lighting available is changing neon lights I can't help you there lol.
Thanks guys, useful discussion, no idea about video but want to give it a go on the A7iv.

Press the red button Tim this is beyond my pay grade, maybe one day I will give it ago but again I will wing it until I get the hang of it, its way more fun messing it up, ;) I learn faster that way
And therein lies the rub. I tried to get some decent video of my Halloween display last year by just pushing the red button. I used to do is all the time with M-4/3 and have good results. Not so with the Sony. Not sure why, maybe the M-4/3 was optimized for lower light due to the platform, but it gave good results with no fussing. I am hoping to improve the results this year.

Back