Sony A1 Advice - low light motorway / Highway (ISO)?

KNOWNSTUDIO

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
KNOWNSTUDIO-8K-Walking-Tours
Hello,

I have set up a rig to record night time driving but having some issues. At the moment I am testing footage before driving across the UK.

In the night / low light I am using 50MM F1.2 but noticed on the video footage lens flare was really bad. I was shooting at f1.2 and had ISO level around 650. Would lens hood improve this or do I need to change to F5.6 as an example?

When I tried adjusting i would have to bump up the ISO level above what I thought was the higher range @650.

Then further looking into low light performance videos I came across a few suggesting iso 4000 to use? I know it is trial an error but i really wanted to try getting the best footage I can from the A1, and at the moment it is just not there. I am planning a trip to Cotswolds (UK) tonight and any advice appreciate. I will be testing over the weekend from day shots to low light so will test any suggestions.

I am recording 8k30 on RS3 gimbal - nightmare to resolve shake from the car (flat tyres), but resolved this with rig built and spring layer to stop bouncing.

On the A1 does it have different iso ranges depending on picture profile use?

Picture profile 10 (currently using) but not sure to now try PP11 or any of the S/log profiles?

I normally do photography but I wanted to learn and get more into video using the A1. I see some impressive videos shots and I want to learn improve myself.

Previous footage I have tried autofocus also which was a bad idea, it would focus breath constantly (less so when I put the rig into my car). I then moved across to manual focus but I found that really tricky to get right.

When I did test low iso @650 it did look amazing on a larger TV but the lens flare from headlights ruined the shots. I did question also if maybe it could have been atmospheric/ temperature in the car also?
20230125_210045.jpg
  • SM-F936B
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 3200

As I said any advice I would really appreciate!

P.s any advice on A1 shooter group meetups? Ie to maybe learn shooting wildlife / video footage in the UK? I have never attempted but I really want to get out of my comfort zone.

Thanks for reading and hope you all have a great weekend.

K

Back