Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
So my Son made this new bird house for me on one of his 3d printers. he makes lots of stuff for his large scale rc racing, custom parts also parts for his kart racing. This is completely made from high grade plastic on the machine even the bolts from scratch. This is the first attempt and its pretty much perfect, it de-builds for mounting and cleaning and even has a fat ball feeder hook inside the roof.
010.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 back dual wide camera 4.25mm f/1.8
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/121 sec
  • ISO 64
011.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 250
012.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/66 sec
  • ISO 125
013.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/68 sec
  • ISO 125
014.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/64 sec
  • ISO 125
015.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/69 sec
  • ISO 125
016.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 250
018.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 200
019.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/73 sec
  • ISO 125
020.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 250

That’s great but what sort of money does that take to make as I thought 3D printing was expensive.

That does look pretty awesome Gary. Lucky birds! 🐦

That does look pretty awesome Gary. Lucky birds! 🐦
Yep it is amazing what these printers can make and it is really strong I am having all small widows to try to stop the starlings getting in and hopefully the tree rats. he made me a tc cap for the oly 1.4 teleconverter after I lost it.

Yep it is amazing what these printers can make and it is really strong I am having all small widows to try to stop the starlings getting in and hopefully the tree rats. he made me a tc cap for the oly 1.4 teleconverter after I lost it.
The starlings and squirrels are a pain in the backside and cost us a fortune in feed. Well they did until we invested in some squirrel buster feeders. They stop the squirrels dead and if you set them up right they also stop larger birds like starlings if a couple land of them. With those and a few cages around the fat balls and other feeders we pretty much now only feed what we want to feed.

That’s great but what sort of money does that take to make as I thought 3D printing was expensive.
I don't think it is expensive (relatively) to do the prints but they can be time consuming. The printers have improved in quality a lot and the prices have come way down now they are getting so popular. I have a friend who sells 3D printed stuff online and at markets. He has 12 printers running almost continuously around the clock.

Cool

Don't put words in my mouth :D

The starlings and squirrels are a pain in the backside and cost us a fortune in feed. Well they did until we invested in some squirrel buster feeders. They stop the squirrels dead and if you set them up right they also stop larger birds like starlings if a couple land of them. With those and a few cages around the fat balls and other feeders we pretty much now only feed what we want to feed.
Hey Tim, that Squirrel Buster looks like a great device - how long have you had it? I might invest in one.

Beautiful piece of work. Your birds are going to be spoiled!

I was talking to a colleague about his 3D printer yesterday and he mentioned that the only filaments he has aren’t UV stabilised, so he can’t make a thing he had planned to make for outside (we get a bit of UV in Australia…). I imagine your son knows all about that.

Beautiful piece of work. Your birds are going to be spoiled!

I was talking to a colleague about his 3D printer yesterday and he mentioned that the only filaments he has aren’t UV stabilised, so he can’t make a thing he had planned to make for outside (we get a bit of UV in Australia…). I imagine your son knows all about that.
Yep he has been doing 3D printing for a while now in fact a few years and yes as you point out filaments are many and have different properties.

Thanks for the link Tim. I just went over on Amazon and got one.

Back