New Sony A7 user

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Spacemonkey

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Apr 7, 2021
Name
Wilkinson
Hi,

I have recently moved up to a Sony a7iii with the 24-70 F2.8 to get started with.
Previously I shot on a Lumix G9 with the Leica tagged lenses.

I have agreed a sale on these lenses and wanted to purchase a similar range in the FE mount to cover my bases again.
Previously in MFT format I had 10-25 F1.7 Leica, 42.5 F1.2 Leica, 35-100 F2.8 Lumix G and 200 F2.8 Leica, with 1.4 X teleconverter.

So I am looking for some recommendations agaist the hundreds of reviews out there for similar lenses?

I shoot street and travel, with some wildlife and sports - all for fun!

Initially I was thinking 85 F1.8, 70-200 F4 and 100-400 F4.5 -5.6 as Sony lenses, but there are many options.

Looking forward to hearing from your experiences.

WeeMalky

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 10, 2020
Name
Malcolm Yates
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Prestwick . Ayrshire Scotland
Hi S the 100-400 + 1.4 teleconverter is a very versatile lens the 200-600mm is another. The 24-70-2.8 I would think would do you for your street and travel another very good lens is the 24-105mm but as you have just laid out a chunk of cash for the 24-70mm it might be a bit of an overlap. Don't have any experience with the 85mm but would think it's more a portrait lens although I have seen it used with motorbike /speedway shots to great effect. I have had the 70-200f4 and changed it for the 2.8 not sure if that was a great move as the 2.8 is quite heavy and for what I take not sure if it was all that much better. Check out some of the guy's photos on here and that should give you an idea there are a great variety and some cracking shots. Good luck

Spacemonkey

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Apr 7, 2021
Name
Wilkinson
Hi S the 100-400 + 1.4 teleconverter is a very versatile lens the 200-600mm is another. The 24-70-2.8 I would think would do you for your street and travel another very good lens is the 24-105mm but as you have just laid out a chunk of cash for the 24-70mm it might be a bit of an overlap. Don't have any experience with the 85mm but would think it's more a portrait lens although I have seen it used with motorbike /speedway shots to great effect. I have had the 70-200f4 and changed it for the 2.8 not sure if that was a great move as the 2.8 is quite heavy and for what I take not sure if it was all that much better. Check out some of the guy's photos on here and that should give you an idea there are a great variety and some cracking shots. Good luck
Thanks for your input, I was erring on going for the 70-200 F4 on how more portable and useable it was in the reviews, with little quality improvement in the 2.8 for a lot of cash and extra weight.
Thanks

Last edited:

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.