New to Alpha

Pjd232

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Pete
Hi,

Just ordered my first Alpha and looking for tips, help, and to see what other people are achieving with theirs to inspire me :)

First 'proper' digital camera, so very much a beginner, and hoping to learn from others who have been there already!

Any recommendations on what my first lens should be? early on will be mainly nature / landscapes, i prefer urban photography but have recently moved to the Wirral in the UK (pretty rural), and not got any travel plans for a while until the world is back to normal

Look forward to meeting new people!

Pete

Welcome Pete, which model did you buy?

Welcome Pete, which model did you buy?
Hi :) I've bought an A7R IV, it's secondhand but bought it from a reputable source. I haven't received it yet, but can't wait to get my hands on it.
Appreciate I could have started with something cheaper, but figured I'm not likely to want to change it for a good few years! what do you use?

Hi :) I've bought an A7R IV, it's secondhand but bought it from a reputable source. I haven't received it yet, but can't wait to get my hands on it.
Appreciate I could have started with something cheaper, but figured I'm not likely to want to change it for a good few years! what do you use?
Oh very nice, you're going straight to the high-megapixel model! Since you knew you might want to upgrade later on, good idea to skip the "starter" camera and just buy the model you wanted.
I shoot with an A6400, which suits my budget, skill level, and portability needs. I am a novice but I have learned a lot on this site.

Oh very nice, you're going straight to the high-megapixel model! Since you knew you might want to upgrade later on, good idea to skip the "starter" camera and just buy the model you wanted.
I shoot with an A6400, which suits my budget, skill level, and portability needs. I am a novice but I have learned a lot on this site.
Haha, I've just stalked your insta, and you do yourself a massive disservice-some of your shots are superb!!

Haha, I've just stalked your insta, and you do yourself a massive disservice-some of your shots are superb!!
LOL heck, I'll take the compliment :LOL: thanks!

Looking forward to what you can do with that camera. BTW, our admin @Timothy Mayo has put together lists of lens choices for the full-frame E-mount system; have a look:

Tamron and Sigma are the best 3rd party lenses and can often save you some $$$ versus Sony lenses. There are also some decent lenses from Samyang/Rokinon but remember: you get what you pay for, so watch many reviews if you go down this route.

For whatever its worth, I suggest your first lens be a prime lens. Limiting yourself to zooming in with your feet and understanding the limits of framing like this is a good learning experience and might even encourage you to be more creative. Plus, if you spend some coin, you might end up with a prime lens of high enough quality (and wide enough aperture) that it will forever have a home in your camera kit.

LOL heck, I'll take the compliment :LOL: thanks!

Looking forward to what you can do with that camera. BTW, our admin @Timothy Mayo has put together lists of lens choices for the full-frame E-mount system; have a look:

Tamron and Sigma are the best 3rd party lenses and can often save you some $$$ versus Sony lenses. There are also some decent lenses from Samyang/Rokinon but remember: you get what you pay for, so watch many reviews if you go down this route.

For whatever its worth, I suggest your first lens be a prime lens. Limiting yourself to zooming in with your feet and understanding the limits of framing like this is a good learning experience and might even encourage you to be more creative. Plus, if you spend some coin, you might end up with a prime lens of high enough quality (and wide enough aperture) that it will forever have a home in your camera kit.

Really appreciate the advice, thank you 😊

Welcome Pete and thank for joining up here! :) What focal distance are you shooting at most often? The Sony 24-105 F4 G lens is a great all-rounder, but if that's too price then Tamron also has some excellent glass.

Welcome Pete and thank for joining up here! :) What focal distance are you shooting at most often? The Sony 24-105 F4 G lens is a great all-rounder, but if that's too price then Tamron also has some excellent glass.
Thank you 😊 I’ve started myself off with a 50mm prime, just to allow me to start exploring what the camera can do and what works for me, will start to do my research over the coming weeks. Seeing some superb results from members on here, looking forward to taking something worth sharing soon 😊

Back