Sony A7R IV Question About the Focus Hold Button

awdbugga

Followers
Following
Name
John Hearn
I'm new to Sony, having just bought a Sony A7RivA and a Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM lens at the weekend.

I'm working my through the menus and customising the buttons to my liking. I know how to customise all the buttons, including the focus hold button on the lens.

However, it's the function of this button that I need some advice on.

I have left it to function as the focus hold button. When I depress the button, there does not seem to be any indication in the EVF or monitor that the focus is actually on hold. I've tried it when in single shot, continuous shot, in AF-S and AF-C. Nothing appears when the button is pressed. I have the camera set to back button focus using the default AF-On button. The shutter release button is decoupled from focusing (AW w/shutter is set to off).

I can see the green circle at the bottom left tells be when it's in focus in AF-S and green circle with brackets when it's in focus in AF-C; but I cannot see anything that tells me that focus is held, when the "Focus Hold" button the lens is pressed.

Should there be any indication in the VF or monitor that focus hold is on? Or is just a case of you must assume it is, because you are pressing the button in?
It's unlike camera manufacturers not to indicate to you in some way that you have something selected.

Having back button focus and AF decoupled from shutter button is the camera not always in focus hold mode as soon as you stop pressing the back focus button ?

I only ever use focus hold on my lens, however it doesn't give any indication that it is held or locked.

Solution
I only ever use focus hold on my lens, however it doesn't give any indication that it is held or locked.
That's the conclusion I came to. I guess you can deduce that it's on hold because if you focus using the AF-On button then press and keep your finger on the Focus Hold button; then release the AF-ON button, recompose and press the AF-On again, the camera doesn't try and focus on the new subject, showing that focus is locked on the original subject. It would have been kinda nice if there was a little icon on the screen; but hey, I guess it is what it is.

I'm loving how bright and clear the EVF is on the A7rivA.

That's the conclusion I came to. I guess you can deduce that it's on hold because if you focus using the AF-On button then press and keep your finger on the Focus Hold button; then release the AF-ON button, recompose and press the AF-On again, the camera doesn't try and focus on the new subject, showing that focus is locked on the original subject. It would have been kinda nice if there was a little icon on the screen; but hey, I guess it is what it is.

I'm loving how bright and clear the EVF is on the A7rivA.
Yes, it would be handy I agree, and yes, I used to hate EVF's, and have actually been put off of cameras in the past due to them being so bad, but the RIV has a superb viewfinder. I can't fault it. I do love how you instantly see the result of any setting change you make. Very useful at times.

Back