Night conditions

Jskufca

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
This is more of a help request topic. I take photos of our HS band, which often is at night. The lighting is poor in the stands, the the kids are always moving. I find I need a narrow aperture to get multiple rows in focus, usually running f4-f8. I’ve tried keeping ss to 100-120, but this is too slow to stop motion. I’ve been keeping it in manual at f6, 120ss and let iso go up to my stop at 6400. I could raise my iso limit further, but the pictures are already so grain. Any other suggestions in these conditions? I’m using Sony A6400 with the 18-135 Sony OSS lens. Here’s an example shot

Attachments

• C2FBADE6-BBEC-4411-A899-5450C07EC43E.jpeg
    C2FBADE6-BBEC-4411-A899-5450C07EC43E.jpeg
    855.7 KB · Views: 57
I suspect that without additional lighting you are going to be stuck with the noise.

are these photos post processed or straight out of camera? you may be able to "make up the difference" with a denoise product like topaz or other editing software.

I suspect that without additional lighting you are going to be stuck with the noise.

are these photos post processed or straight out of camera? you may be able to "make up the difference" with a denoise product like topaz or other editing software.
Those were post processed. I have played with Topaz a bit, and might be worth the cost. What I am wondering, I limited iso to 6400. Should I increase it to allow for proper exposure in camera, or keep it capped and raise exposure in post?

Those were post processed. I have played with Topaz a bit, and might be worth the cost. What I am wondering, I limited iso to 6400. Should I increase it to allow for proper exposure in camera, or keep it capped and raise exposure in post?
that is a tough one, as noise is so subjective - what i consider ok you might not. i'd say, give it a try both ways on a shoot and see if there are clear advantages to your acceptable level of noise and post processing.

Back