Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
24MP, dial operation, 14 FPS mechanical, up to 30 FPS electronic/jpeg. Same processor/screens/AF/subject ID as the Z8/Z9, which would put it right with the A1/A9 for BIF and action shooting. Dual card slots, 1 SD and 1 Micro SD.

$2,000.00.

It is a sexy camera if you like vintage looking gear.

1695167434_1788062.jpg

Not sure about that, It would take a lot now for me to change brand now.

I guess it's aimed for those Leica lovers who would like a more affordable camera.

The good thing about all these announcements as of late is that they show just how big and strong the market is.

Last edited:
Form what I hear from people using Nikon the AF is still not up to Sony standard. If they had got that right when the Z cameras came out I would still be a Nikon user.
The Z9/8 (and now this?) are supposed to be a whole better than the 6 and 7 cameras. So many people complained about those when they came out.

The Z9/8 (and now this?) are supposed to be a whole better than the 6 and 7 cameras. So many people complained about those when they came out.
The 8 and 9 are indeed great now they have had updates. A mate of mine is friends with a Nikon tester. He gave his first Z9 back after a week, it was awful. 6 months later they gave him one with the latest updates and he said he won't ever give it back, it's unreal. So it's as good as the A1 I suspect.

LOL at the grip comments. Nothing had a grip in the film days until they needed to stick a larger battery in the camera.

That was back when men were men mate, a bit of pain never hurt anyone. These days, 'men' go and dob when someone hurts their feelings. Also, they sanitise their hands and wear face coverings because they get scared they might get a cough...

The 8 and 9 are indeed great now they have had updates. A mate of mine is friends with a Nikon tester. He gave his first Z9 back after a week, it was awful. 6 months later they gave him one with the latest updates and he said he won't ever give it back, it's unreal. So it's as good as the A1 I suspect.
I remember Nikon's video when they released the Z9 showing someone getting an unreal number (thousands?) of consecutive perfectly in-focus shots. As soon as it was released the complaints started. I often wondered how many months and tries it took for them to get that video? At least they were able to get it corrected.

Nice retro set of cams. You are, of course, right about the grips, but we also didn't have 200-600mm lenses to support...
No, but have you ever weighed one of those old zooms? :eek:

I love the looks. Not interested in actually buying it though. :)

Fuji with the small XF primes with aperture rings and the X-Tx controls blissfully pasm free do the old school thing way better than Nikon.

Not too bothered with the whole grip thing. For big heavy lenses like the 200-600 it's a rather heavy duty left hand supporting the lens kind of thing for me.

The sold out X100V and Leica Q3s have no real grips to speak of - both of them are really nice and easy one handers with just a thumb grip added.

strange release from Nikon, in my opinion. Banking on retro appeal for a camera in a competitive market segment? risky I think.

strange release from Nikon, in my opinion. Banking on retro appeal for a camera in a competitive market segment? risky I think.
Well, it's their second one, the first having been an APS-C and fairly popular. Pentax just introduced a ridiculously expensive monochrome camera.

When you think about it there wasn't much R&D needed. Take the body from the APS-C version and dump the guts from a Z9 into it and viola, instant camera. Kind of like Panasonic just did with the G9II, or Sony with the A7c II and R. Minor changes to current and virtually zero R&D cost. Seems pretty smart to me.

What's old is new again.

Well, it's their second one, the first having been an APS-C and fairly popular. Pentax just introduced a ridiculously expensive monochrome camera.

When you think about it there wasn't much R&D needed. Take the body from the APS-C version and dump the guts from a Z9 into it and viola, instant camera. Kind of like Panasonic just did with the G9II, or Sony with the A7c II and R. Minor changes to current and virtually zero R&D cost. Seems pretty smart to me.

What's old is new again.
very good points, and makes sense. It is kinda cool looking. But I would like a deeper grip :)

Same processor/screens/AF/subject ID as the Z8/Z9, which would put it right with the A1/A9 for BIF and action shooting.
It might be the same sensor family but given that it isn't stacked it is unlikely that the AF would be as good as the Z8/9 or A1/9 and also rolling shutter might be an issue in electronic.

There is still a lot of people complaining among the wildlife shooters.

It might be the same sensor family but given that it isn't stacked it is unlikely that the AF would be as good as the Z8/9 or A1/9 and also rolling shutter might be an issue in electronic.
Not according to the information they provided.

There is still a lot of people complaining among the wildlife shooters.
Well, when your lens won't fit and the strap lugs fall off, I can understand that!

Seriously, there are people complaining about every frigging camera in the world from every manufacturer. There are more people satisfied with each one, you just don't hear from them.

Back