No zoom in RAW

I would not advise shooting RAW Hi+ M-shutter too often on a M3 for 2 reasons:
1) images become only 12bit deep (Still way better than JPEGs 8 bit but in my book not good enough to justify the effort of editing the 12bit RAW). Stay at Hi mode and you will still get 8fps at full 14bit deep IQ.
2) shutter wear and noise (birds might be far but M3 m-shutter is loud enough for them to notice you). Your M3 won’t last long if you keep using m-shutter bursts (as a former M3 owner for 3 years I never had any m-shutter problems but I just seriously doubt it would reach the 200.000 rated lifespan, was at 52k actuations count when I sold it with very self limited use of m-shutter bursts), unfortunately e-shutter bursts introduce a lot of rolling shutter on the M3.

If you find yourself absolutely needing to go into burst mode more than 25% of the time then you have to consider transitioning to a stacked sensor model. If you find yourself often limited by reach then buy a longer lens and use TCs, don’t waste your megapixels cropping/zooming.

On the subject of 12 bit RAW: there was a time when all RAW files were 12 bit, and no one complained about them being terrible. The original Canon 5D was 12 bit. The Canon 1DII and 1DsII were 12 bit. Now, I only use 14 bit RAWs, but that doesn't mean 12 bit is anathema. Depending on how much work you do on the file, 12 bits may be ample.

On the subject of mechanical shutter life: the 200k actuations is an estimate, and shutters routinely exceed that estimate. It is becoming rare to hear of a shutter not reaching it. In fact, there are cases of people exceeding shutter life estimates by ridiculous amounts: one 1DII sports shooter reached 1.8 million actuations (almost all of them bursts, unsurprisingly) on a shutter estimated to last 200k. That's an extreme case, of course. Professional shooters get shutters replaced every so often - it's not an expensive exercise, and it's nothing to fear, indeed it's an expected part of camera maintenance. Or was - I'm not expected to need to get the shutter replaced on my A1, given it has yet to register one actuation :)

I do agree with you about shutter noise. Love the silence of the e-shutter on a stacked sensor.

On the subject of 12 bit RAW: there was a time when all RAW files were 12 bit, and no one complained about them being terrible. The original Canon 5D was 12 bit. The Canon 1DII and 1DsII were 12 bit. Now, I only use 14 bit RAWs, but that doesn't mean 12 bit is anathema. Depending on how much work you do on the file, 12 bits may be ample.

On the subject of mechanical shutter life: the 200k actuations is an estimate, and shutters routinely exceed that estimate. It is becoming rare to hear of a shutter not reaching it. In fact, there are cases of people exceeding shutter life estimates by ridiculous amounts: one 1DII sports shooter reached 1.8 million actuations (almost all of them bursts, unsurprisingly) on a shutter estimated to last 200k. That's an extreme case, of course. Professional shooters get shutters replaced every so often - it's not an expensive exercise, and it's nothing to fear, indeed it's an expected part of camera maintenance. Or was - I'm not expected to need to get the shutter replaced on my A1, given it has yet to register one actuation :)

I do agree with you about shutter noise. Love the silence of the e-shutter on a stacked sensor.
On the subject of 12 bit RAW:

12 bit RAWs would never allow me to transform this
22-03-01 11h11m35s 0001a S.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN | A (Sony E)
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 50

into this:
22-03-01 11h11m35s 0001b S.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN | A (Sony E)
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 50

So for me it's a resolute hard pass on 12 bit RAW. I would even consider going Medium Format 16 bit if there is a global shutter model with AF performance similar to what I get with FF.

I neither use Clear zoom or shoot in RAW most of the time. However I do use APS-C mode with birds.
I'm often deleting as I go along which reduces the shot load at the end of the day. There will always be the obvious misses where you can see in camera and you can just get rid of it.

I neither use Clear zoom or shoot in RAW most of the time. However I do use APS-C mode with birds.
I'm often deleting as I go along which reduces the shot load at the end of the day. There will always be the obvious misses where you can see in camera and you can just get rid of it.
I like the Clear Image Zoom especially with only the 100/400mm lens. I have tried the APS-C mode a long while ago so I can't really remember why I don't use it now. So I can't give you a clear cut answer to that.
I tried RAW and honestly I myself don't like it. I know not too many will like this but I am not them and they are not me.
Just becuse it is said to be the thing to do doesn't always mean it's the right thing for me. So if you are going to have a go at me over that part remember we are not robots and we all have our own way and my way is just different your way.
On deleting as you go I know I can do this but I like to see what I have got when I get home and due to this I turned off the preview of what I have taken. I have looked at a few shots here and there but normally I will not look at what I have got.
I feel I can tell rightly or wrongly I think I can work out what I need to do while shooting and yep I do get it wrong at times.
But this is the way I do my now and I feel it is working okay for me with the odd look through the viewfinder once in a while.

I have tried the APS-C mode a long while ago so I can't really remember why I don't use it now. So I can't give you a clear cut answer to that.
My guess would be because APS-C mode will give you 1.5X crop where Clear Image Zoom gives you 2X, so it's the difference of having the same as a 600mm focal length vs 800mm focal length when your 400mm is at full stretch.

Back