Ok guys this not for me but My son has a trip coming up to the far east it is a last minute thing, recommend me a short zoom

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
ok as title my son is doing a trip very soon last minute he wants a resolution camera so I suggested the a75r, now he wants a short zoom for street and landscape, it not my scene and I only have the Zeiss 24-70 f4, 70-200 f4 , and 24-70 g2 a-mount Zeiss which he could use via lea-5 adaptor, so please suggestions on camera and lenses choice he mentioned 16-35 2.8 and 24-70 2.8 thanks in advance :)

Does it have to be 2.8? The Tamron 17-50/4 looks like a really fun lens for that application. I know nothing about it, some research is in order, but a very cool focal range. Internal zoom too.

Dustin Abbot review, I haven't watched it.

ok as title my son is doing a trip very soon last minute he wants a resolution camera so I suggested the a75r, now he wants a short zoom for street and landscape, it not my scene and I only have the Zeiss 24-70 f4, 70-200 f4 , and 24-70 g2 a-mount Zeiss which he could use via lea-5 adaptor, so please suggestions on camera and lenses choice he mentioned 16-35 2.8 and 24-70 2.8 thanks in advance :)
Gary, the new Sony
20230927-DSC07827.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 20-70mm F4 G
  • 47.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 100
20230928-DSC07861.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 20-70mm F4 G
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 100
20231003-DSC08381-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 20-70mm F4 G
  • 58.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 160
20-70, f/4 is lightweight. sharp and fast auto focus. Some samples I took in Portugal.

The A7Cr with the 20-70 G.
I have the camera but not the lens because I prefer 16-35 G PZ, 24-70 GM II, 40 G, and 70-200 G II.

and I came here to suggest the 20-70mm f/4 G :)

Short, sharp, and light. Not hugely expensive. And decent magnification at the long end (I think it gets to 0.39) for close-up not-quite macro.

Does it have to be 2.8? The Tamron 17-50/4 looks like a really fun lens for that application. I know nothing about it, some research is in order, but a very cool focal range. Internal zoom too.

Dustin Abbot review, I haven't watched it.

No hard and fast rules the 2 lenses mentioned are his suggestions only

Ok all several mention the 20-70 please tell me why this lens is so well thought of , oh and thanks guys for quick replies, he needs to source some kit quickly :)

he just asked if anyone would buy the a74r over the 5 so thoughts on that also and to all who thought of the a7cr he is not comfortable with a compact build camera but thanks guys

No hard and fast rules the 2 lenses mentioned are his suggestions only
Dustin Abbot does a direct comparison to it and the Sony 20-70 in the video I linked.

Sounds like he isn't too fussed about price so A7RV is definitely the go. ✅
He wanted to go 50/50 on the a1 but he is not that careful and I dont share my gear I look after it, no doubt he will only want the a5r for trips and throw it my way the rest of the time, but once again I would not loan gear from him it is double standards

As Clint stated, if money is no object may as well get the latest and greatest.

As Clint stated, if money is no object may as well get the latest and greatest.
I think he is of the mind set that given the locations he is visiting he may not return given todays world so he may as well get some memories as best he can :)

I think he is of the mind set that given the locations he is visiting he may not return given todays world so he may as well get some memories as best he can :)

The rubbish that is getting pushed on the world is going to imprison most citizens, especially those who have people who are dependent on them. Everything is slowly being manipulated to force people into a state of only the most basic movement. I've spoken about where the world is going many a time, and I just hope that people take it seriously.

Good to see your son is wanting to cherish these precious moments with his family. There is nothing better than an A7RV to record these special moments, that's for sure. 🌞

he just asked if anyone would buy the a74r over the 5 so thoughts on that also and to all who thought of the a7cr he is not comfortable with a compact build camera but thanks guys
I have the A7Rv and A7CR. For my bigger lenses I prefer the Rv over the CR. Even though the CR comes with the extension it defeats my purpose for a small compact camera since that extension takes the CR to the size of the Rv.

I can definitely recommend the Rv over the Riv for a several reasons:
1. Greatly improved IBIS
2. Improved AF
3. Lossless compress raw files
4. The Riv EVF is horrible if you have to turn on flicker control

1 and 2 are a huge improvement because a slight micro movement could lead to the focus point not being in focus with that 61 MP sensor. Something that I did experience with the Riv that I don't with the Rv.

Ok all several mention the 20-70 please tell me why this lens is so well thought of , oh and thanks guys for quick replies, he needs to source some kit quickly :)
I really enjoy a wide angle FOV when traveling. That used to mean lens changes because 28 isn't wide enough for me.
Much of my travel is not photo-specific and I don't want to annoy my wife and other travel partners with lens changes.

Effectively replaced the 17-28 + 28-75 2.8 or 28-200 travel pair for me.

The goal was to have a no bag, no lens changing single travel lens. (I'd also bring the 35 GM or LeicaQ for night/low light)

Light, compact and love the 20mm wide end. Sharp and quick to focus too.
Naturally I wish it were faster but I accept the trade off for the small size.

With a high MP camera plenty of latitude to crop. Instead of a bag - carrying the RV over the shoulder with the 20-70 and an extra battery is all I need for most situations. F4 with the IBIS of the A1/A7RV and high iso is fast enough. :)

Forgot to mention another thing I love about this lens - an aperture ring.

From wide to low light indoors. Very happy with this lens for the job.
cruise stillsDSC08320-topaz.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 20-70mm F4 G
  • 44.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 6400
cruise stillsDSC08124-topaz.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 20-70mm F4 G
  • 33.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:

I own the 20-70 f/4. It's my only short zoom.

It's a new approach to the 24-70. Instead of extending the long end (like the 24-105), it extends the short end, and by a useful amount (just like 24-70 replaced 28-70 a while back - in SLR / DSLR days).

I find the 20-70 a convenient range of focal lengths wrapped in a convenient size and weight. Oh, and it's sharp, too!

That's why I recommended it.

It's a shame no one here utilizes or starts sample images threads in the lens forum.

For the use at hand, the 24-105 would be a great choice. Rather than describing how good it is there are some samples posted. Maybe other will add theirs and start new threads. ANY E mount lens goes, Sony or third party, just no adapted lenses.

It's a shame no one here utilizes or starts sample images threads in the lens forum.

For the use at hand, the 24-105 would be a great choice. Rather than describing how good it is there are some samples posted. Maybe other will add theirs and start new threads. ANY E mount lens goes, Sony or third party, just no adapted lenses.

Thanks Tim for reminding me about the lens and thread ;)

I would think one of the 20-70 proponents would start an Image Sample thread, then everyone can post there.

Back