Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Is it good practice on this forum to continually thank each person one by one for simply leaving a like on a shot posted, or is this spamming? lets be clear here, that is simply a like! as opposed to a comment, or comment and like?
Once again these things are talked about in private chat but as always most do not want to ask the question on the forum, so here it is, I have done this myself as a response to other members doing it every time they post a shots because I think a comment requires possibly a reply but a like to each person one by one is a bit much, a reply now and again for several likes as ie thanks to all for the likes guys is fine I think. So what do you guys think all views welcome

A bit much in your view, perhaps ... common courtesy in the opinion of others.

It is not the role of any one individual or small group of individuals on the forum
to decide the behaviours of others and how they react to likes, comments or any
other form of member communication

The idea of this practice as "spamming" is far fetched and non of the forum such
responses are intended to be malicious or vexatious.....more a way of giving
respect to another's expressed view.

I did say all views welcome, I imagine most will be too diplomatic to post a response

Is it good practice on this forum to continually thank each person one by one for simply leaving a like on a shot posted, or is this spamming? lets be clear here, that is simply a like! as opposed to a comment, or comment and like?
Once again these things are talked about in private chat but as always most do not want to ask the question on the forum, so here it is, I have done this myself as a response to other members doing it every time they post a shots because I think a comment requires possibly a reply but a like to each person one by one is a bit much, a reply now and again for several likes as ie thanks to all for the likes guys is fine I think. So what do you guys think all views welcome
Perhaps I might be considered rude or abrupt, but my general approach on all social media is not to respond to a "like". When someone posts a comment, I will either just post a "like" on their comment to show appreciation, if the comment does not specifically require a more dedicated response, or try to respond to the comment as needed. I certainly don't expect to be thanked for a "like" on someone else's post but do appreciate if my comments are acknowledged.

Having said that, I think that, on a forum like this, you will find a very diverse range of opinions on this subject, often related to culture, and everyone should feel free to act as they see fit, obviously within reason.

I’m easy either way. But I don’t think we should be dictatorial on this issue, it’s down to personal preference. While I greatly appreciate it when someone is moved to ‘like’ one of my photographs, I personally don’t respond to a ‘like’. However, when someone has made a comment, I feel obliged to respond, that is part of the appeal of this forum, to engage with others that have a passion for photography. And the nature of the reply depends on the nature the comment. Sometimes, a group reply is appropriate, while at other times individual responses are appropriate or necessary.

I always see it as a like means a subtle way of appreciating an image so there's no need to thank individuals for this. A comment is someone going a step further to let you know how they felt, so it's only common courtesy to take the time to reply to them.

Interesting responses. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

When I see a thread with 5 or 6 responses, the majority (or even all of them) by the OP and merely thanking others, I see it as a means to keep their image in the headlines for more views and more likes. That may not be the intent, but that's the appearance.

I think Clint probably nailed it. Or to take it a step further, a "Thanks all" for a group of folks is certainly appropriate.

Nonetheless, each will do as they wish unless the forum owner decides otherwise. To that extent, it is absolutely the role of one individual to decide.

I have never individually thanked people just for liking a photo, that's just not worth the time, appreciated though it is. I will sometimes individually thank people for commenting if comments are slow coming, or group thank if there is a quick response.
I do think that those who choose to bump Thier own posts by thanking everyone for liking is a bit much on a slow forum where the post won't get missed among others.
This place is far too quiet in general, maybe only 10 of us post regularly, and I do think that there's some possibility that others are put off by some people's somewhat egotistical behaviour, but on the other hand, a lack of support and appreciation can dissuade people too.
Forums are a minefield.

I have never individually thanked people just for liking a photo, that's just not worth the time, appreciated though it is. I will sometimes individually thank people for commenting if comments are slow coming, or group thank if there is a quick response.
I do think that those who choose to bump Thier own posts by thanking everyone for liking is a bit much on a slow forum where the post won't get missed among others.
This place is far too quiet in general, maybe only 10 of us post regularly, and I do think that there's some possibility that others are put off by some people's somewhat egotistical behaviour, but on the other hand, a lack of support and appreciation can dissuade people too.
Forums are a minefield.
Not thanking, because of time constraints and/or considering such activity is is about "bumping" speaks more to individual
attitudes than the plain and simple notion of members being respectful and appreciative whether in an individual sense or
group sense.

What others may consider to be egotistical behaviour on a "slow" forum, may not have a grasp of the big picture to encourage
established relationships and new entrant interest also. In questioning a simple token of appreciation and engagement...perhaps
a small group of self interested individuals with a limited view of what the forum is or needs to become may be a drag on further
development.....

An individual opinion, and may be controversial, but nevertheless very relevant in the context of the bigger question that was posed.

Ultimately, as has been intimated in the responses above, it is the forum administrator's call as to what fits and doesn't......hopefully such
a call will be for the betterment of the forum and not have a negative impact, as a number of recent similar past issues have seemed to
indicate.

The forum , its members and guests must be freed up to the extent possible, within legal constraints , to communicate freely as they desire
and not to feel constrained by the opinions of a small minority group otherwise the forum will not develop.......

I worked for a company that in the new hire onboarding they pushed for people not to send thank you emails and that we should just all image one was sent. I liked that policy.

I always see it as a like means a subtle way of appreciating an image so there's no need to thank individuals for this. A comment is someone going a step further to let you know how they felt, so it's only common courtesy to take the time to reply to them.
This

I generally tend not to say thank you for likes, particularly since I often forget to even look to see if a particular image even received any. I do respond with a "thank you" and some additional comment in response to another member's comment or question about one of my images. If several people have commented I usually will respond with "thank you all," or sometimes thank you and name the individuals who commented, and then add whatever additional comment might be appropriate. Sometimes it's in response to a question, sometimes it's in response to a comment and occasionally I will add background/shooting info in my remarks.

Last edited:
Back