Ok opinions does buying the latest camera or lens guarantee better images or is there more to it than that

My friend, who plays lead guitar, can pick up mine and I will hear sounds that I never thought were possible with my cheapo guitar. She knows how to bring out the best in it.

She owns several guitars herself because they have certain characteristics for different styles. She also has her favorite one, that she has had for years. It's her favorite because it just resonates with her artistically and inspires her to play her best with it.

Would she ever replace it? Yes, if it were improved upon in certain ways. It's not a perfect guitar, but she and it can make beautiful music together! :)
That's always going to be true with anything though. Equipment cannot replace talent and ability. I play guitar and sax. I am very good at guitar, but I suck at sax. I am the person who can pick up a cheap guitar and make it sing, but picking up a $10,000 sax isn't going to make me sound any better. It would probably make me sounds worse. It would certainly make me more self-conscious! 🤷‍♂️

I just bought a new camera. I can guarantee (regardless of what we tell ourselves) that when viewed on-line, and especially on people's cellphones (which is how about 95% of people view images) the images I make with it will be indiscernible from those I make with other cameras. The difference will be the features that allow me to get the finished product.

Don't you just hate that!?!
It made me realize that I can't fault the guitar for my lack of skills with it. Instead, it motivated me to try harder with it. This individual can pick up a few instruments and just start playing to the radio, by ear. She's a musical prodigy to me!

Ok since this thread has reappeared, Sony are still dragging their feet on firmware updates, and of course the a1 update, I guess it will be as per of little use to most of us when it does arrive anyway.

Ok since this thread has reappeared, Sony are still dragging their feet on firmware updates, and of course the a1 update, I guess it will be as per of little use to most of us when it does arrive anyway.
Are they dragging their heels? I thought it was promised for March? It won't be late until April!

Just because they released the A9 III and 300 GM early, doesn't mean they have to release the firmware early ;)

Oh, I see - SAR declared it was coming in mid-February...

Check this shot from the actual announcement: https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/7271416294/IMG_7344.jpeg - March 2024 or later.

My friend, who plays lead guitar, can pick up mine and I will hear sounds that I never thought were possible with my cheapo guitar. She knows how to bring out the best in it.

She owns several guitars herself because they have certain characteristics for different styles. She also has her favorite one, that she has had for years. It's her favorite because it just resonates with her artistically and inspires her to play her best with it.

Would she ever replace it? Yes, if it were improved upon in certain ways. It's not a perfect guitar, but she and it can make beautiful music together! :)

That's a very fitting reply, as beyond specs, one must also take into account those unexplicable feelings towards gear, that "resonance" you mentioned. In the end the best gear is the one that inspires you to create. It may not be "the best", but if it suits you and your style, then it's "the best for you".

Last edited:
My experience suggests that a new camera can inspire me to get out and make photos, just because it's new and exciting. But soon it becomes just another one of my cameras and I soon realize that the shots are about the same as before.

However, a new lens with an unusual focal length and/or faster ƒ will always inspire new creativity in me. That is the beauty of interchangeable lens cameras: new perspectives are just a wad of cash away! :D

Some tools make it easier to collect the image you want, but I would say (as others have) that it's the photographer over the device.

As I've grown as a hobbyist photographer, I've shot with cameras and lenses that my skills had outgrown, and also with cameras whose capabilities were beyond my ability to use them. The point is, if you get a newer camera with bells and whistles, you'll want to do so with the intention of learning and growing into the gear. If you don't, the gear will sit unused. It's like owning a fancy car and never taking it out for a real drive.

Back