Old film shooter here

juan

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
John
I've shot large format film for many years, but I've had my eye on Sony for awhile as a way to use some of my old lenses. I saw that Clyde Butcher used one for his Dali Exhibit, so I dove in. I bought a A7Rii from KEH along with adapters for M42 and Nikon lenses. I've only fiddled with it a bit, but I'm very happy to see Zebras. I used those on pro television cameras when I was in the TV news business. I think they will really help with the light here - Georgia/Florida (US) line where there are patches of bright sun and patches of deep shadow. It's very easy to blow out digital images.

Welcome

Welcome Juan. FYI, Sony blown out highlights are easily recovered unless you go overboard. Don't be afraid to ETTR when needed. Sony also underrates their sensors, it's not uncommon for some of us to overexpose form 1/3 to a full stop.

Yes, 4x5 and 8x10.
BTW, I'm loving the Sony zebras.

I like photographing giraffes as well as zebras o_O

Do you expect to adapt some of your large format lenses? I have never looked into what that would involve - would you need bellows or something to move the lens away from the camera?

Welcome. There are a lot of us older film guys here.

Welcome John and thanks for joining up here. Please let me know if you have any questions about the forum.

I would need some kind of bellows to focus the LF lenses. I have an adapter that would attach to the graflock back of a 4x5 camera with the Sony attached to the adapter. Butcher uses a Cambo device that’s a bellows and camera adapter that can take many LF or MF lenses. It costs as much or more than a camera.

I would need some kind of bellows to focus the LF lenses. I have an adapter that would attach to the graflock back of a 4x5 camera with the Sony attached to the adapter. Butcher uses a Cambo device that’s a bellows and camera adapter that can take many LF or MF lenses. It costs as much or more than a camera.
Thank you for explaining that - I might pass on the option to have a super-expensive adapter :) I’ve heard that some of the large format lenses are extremely good, but…

Welcome to the forum!

Back