Birds Olive Whistler (Golden Whistler now)

Ralph

Veteran Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Over in Tasmania we went to a place called Cataract Gorge and it was a real eye opener and a place well worth going to if you are ever that way.
Me and the wife when for a walk up a slight incline and this gave us a view of the complete area.
On the walk back down this bird flew right past us and into a small area with a lot of tree's/shrubs in it.

Then I got the camera ready and this bird was a little deep but started to come further forwards so we could see it.
Taking quite a few shots and this is just a few of what turned out to be an Olive Whistler.
This just happened to be a Lister bird for me as well.
Cataract Gourge 17-02-2023 (117).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 281.2 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1000
Cataract Gourge 17-02-2023 (122).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 154.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1000
Cataract Gourge 17-02-2023 (128).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 154.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1000
Cataract Gourge 17-02-2023 (140).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 154.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1000

I’m voting for it to be a female Golden Whistler.

I’m voting for it to be a female Golden Whistler.
Someone else put that down and I had a look at both and I couldn't pick anything either way to say it was either one.
They are so close to being the same bird on the shots I looked at that it had me confused as to the true name of this one.
I will look further into it a little later as I think this is going to be a hard one to get right.

Someone else put that down and I had a look at both and I couldn't pick anything either way to say it was either one.
They are so close to being the same bird on the shots I looked at that it had me confused as to the true name of this one.
I will look further into it a little later as I think this is going to be a hard one to get right.
Be unusual at that location as they are pretty rare in Tasmania unlike the Golden whistlers which are widespread particularly in the North and NW of the state. Here's a pic of an Olive Whistler taken on the Mount Roland track.

Bird olive whistler r.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 20000

Be unusual at that location as they are pretty rare in Tasmania unlike the Golden whistlers which are widespread particularly in the North and NW of the state. Here's a pic of an Olive Whistler taken on the Mount Roland track.
In this shot I can actually see white eyebrows and this is unlike the one I got.
So I am now in agreement with you on this and I will still go with it is a new one as I have got shots of the male.
Due to these being in my area but I have never seen a female one so I am still more than happy with the results of the shots.
Little down on the fact I didn't get that one I thought it was but this is what keeps us coming back more than once or twice.
Thanks for this pick up on this and the proof shot as I think without this I would of stuck to my guns.
Plans are already going ahead for our return one year in the future, but we will have to push it as we ain't getting any younger.

Here's another angle.

OW 2r.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 20000

Clearly a different one to what I have got.
But glad I got the whistler side right at that as well.
These do all have the same body type which make is slightly easier.
Just type is where I stuffed up and it isn't the 1st time and will not be the last time.
It is one part I will admit to struggling with until I get the know them much more.
Thanks.

Back