Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL

This tool intelligently enhances the color and tone in your unprocessed photos (and raw images) with the power of AI. You'll get incredible-looking images in a single click. But it doesn't stop there! Brilliance AI also goes a step further by automatically adding local adjustments to different parts of your photo. For example, if there's a sky, people, plants, or a background in your picture, it will make those parts look even more eye-catching!

Have they gone too far? or is this workflow shortcut just a great option for the more casual/novice editors?

It looks good, and is certainly simple on the face of it. All this AI stuff is getting a bit too smart.

Just shoot jpeg. Isn't that what it's coming to? Why bother shooting RAW if you're going to let a computer process the image? It's the exact same thing the camera does every time you push the button.

Just shoot jpeg. Isn't that what it's coming to? Why bother shooting RAW if you're going to let a computer process the image? It's the exact same thing the camera does every time you push the button.

If you shoot JPEG, you are letting a tiny computer running on a small battery do the work. If you shoot RAW and apply the AI in post, then you are letting a much more powerful computer with access to near-infinite cloud resources do it - that has to be better, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I was mucking around with an image of a model shot on a photowalk. Pretty girl doing an arabesque (in jeans!), but the background was pretty blah (cars, street signs), so I thought I'd play with the latest Photoshop toys - one click to select the model, invert the selection, then do an AI-generated background replace. I tried a few options. You type in a description of what you want and it generates a background - "warm colour sunburst" got me some very bright colours (too much); "green countryside" was depressingly good (why look for a location?). Until all our cameras are connected to the net, I can't see that happening in-camera.

It was a fun experiment, but I doubt I'll make a habit of it - it works, and if I was doing this for a living I'd be tempted to use it, but I take photographs for fun, and part of the fun is going to the location.

It certainly DID remind me of just shooting JPEG, though with a bit more flexibility. I look forward to playing with it more just to see how useful it will be.

On a related note, I'm getting the hang of using AI selection tools in ON1 for masking objects/people, and it is very useful. Its not infallible yet though; I still had to paint in/out the edges of the mask on some photos I was editing, which is damn time consuming!

If you shoot JPEG, you are letting a tiny computer running on a small battery do the work. If you shoot RAW and apply the AI in post, then you are letting a much more powerful computer with access to near-infinite cloud resources do it - that has to be better, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I was mucking around with an image of a model shot on a photowalk. Pretty girl doing an arabesque (in jeans!), but the background was pretty blah (cars, street signs), so I thought I'd play with the latest Photoshop toys - one click to select the model, invert the selection, then do an AI-generated background replace. I tried a few options. You type in a description of what you want and it generates a background - "warm colour sunburst" got me some very bright colours (too much); "green countryside" was depressingly good (why look for a location?). Until all our cameras are connected to the net, I can't see that happening in-camera.

It was a fun experiment, but I doubt I'll make a habit of it - it works, and if I was doing this for a living I'd be tempted to use it, but I take photographs for fun, and part of the fun is going to the location.
This is where I think we can agree they've gone too far: background/sky replacement.
I agree, part of the challenge/fun is finding the best conditions or scouting for the right location.

What does everyone think of the new capabilities in Lr Classic?

This is so awesome! Pretty much won't even need to leave my lounge shortly in order to take great photos. Technology, definitely making people smarterer and healthier than ever before! 👏
Waaaaaallllleeeeeeee!

Denoise AI, works well although very slow.

I don't know anything about any of the other stuff. I don't manipulate my images too much...

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good video explaining some of the new HDR features in LRc

Hadn't seen this! TBH I kinda like it... just as long as it's well used. Reminds me of when "HDR" first came out; not the current high dynamic range, but the bracketed multi-exposured pics. And the results did, and still do have a lot of potential! But people tend to overuse it can get unwieldly real easy. Just the same, I think we'll have lots of super dramatic fake skies, weird 6+ fingered hands and other clearly unnatural elements, and after a while, people will start toning it down and consider it one more brush on the table. A truly modern, fancy brush, but one of many others nevertheless. And too thick to be the only one to use without butchering the picture.

Hadn't seen this! TBH I kinda like it... just as long as it's well used. Reminds me of when "HDR" first came out; not the current high dynamic range, but the bracketed multi-exposured pics. And the results did, and still do have a lot of potential! But people tend to overuse it can get unwieldly real easy. Just the same, I think we'll have lots of super dramatic fake skies, weird 6+ fingered hands and other clearly unnatural elements, and after a while, people will start toning it down and consider it one more brush on the table. A truly modern, fancy brush, but one of many others nevertheless. And too thick to be the only one to use without butchering the picture.
Hey, welcome back Ivan!

I am still learning my way around ON1 Photo RAW 2024, and I do like it much more than last year's version, which I'll admit I didn't take the time to properly ever learn in the first place. The Brilliance feature is interesting, and yes, for someone who just wants or needs to quickly process an image for some reason, it's fine; what I call "quick--and-dirty." Gets the job done, well....not always perfectly or satisfactorily. I find more and more that I'm using it as a starting-off point but then still do some adjusting as I feel is needed, a good way to continue learning my way around the program. (I haven't graduated to Masking yet -- need to do so eventually!)

I've thrown a couple of challenging images at it just to see what would happen. In one case I finally gave up on it and went to DXO PhotoLab 7 where I could tinker more with the settings (since I'm more familiar with them, while still learning some of the finer details of using ON1). With the second situation, I experimented with it a bit, got a better sense of the limitations of it, and then experimented some more and the results were....well, interesting!

I am still learning my way around ON1 Photo RAW 2024, and I do like it much more than last year's version, which I'll admit I didn't take the time to properly ever learn in the first place. The Brilliance feature is interesting, and yes, for someone who just wants or needs to quickly process an image for some reason, it's fine; what I call "quick--and-dirty." Gets the job done, well....not always perfectly or satisfactorily. I find more and more that I'm using it as a starting-off point but then still do some adjusting as I feel is needed, a good way to continue learning my way around the program. (I haven't graduated to Masking yet -- need to do so eventually!)

I've thrown a couple of challenging images at it just to see what would happen. In one case I finally gave up on it and went to DXO PhotoLab 7 where I could tinker more with the settings (since I'm more familiar with them, while still learning some of the finer details of using ON1). With the second situation, I experimented with it a bit, got a better sense of the limitations of it, and then experimented some more and the results were....well, interesting!
I don't use it at all. I've not found a situation where the Brilliance AI tool edited to my liking.
Cool concept, but not my cup of tea.

I've been experimenting with it on-and-off and will probably continue to do so, but yes, most of the time I end up tinkering with adjustments anyway, so it really is not that much of a time saver. I can see how it would be appealing to someone who shoots something and then just wants to get out a quick-and-dirty version of an edit to share with friends or family, whoever......

I've been a devout DXO Photolab 7 user and tried the previous ON1 version which drove me nuts. Very hard to figure out. With the addition of the Brilliance AI I decided to download a trial. It was sooooo much more intuitive for starters. The Brilliance AI was just that.......brilliant! Takes one near to where they need to be with one click. Better yet allows one to zero in on a specific subject in the photo and dial it in perfectly. I found their sharpening to be the finest yet. Forget about anything Adobe or Capture One, this is leagues better. The NoNoise is great right up to about ISO6400 where if shot above that I go to DXO for the perfect results. All in all it was the best $80 I've spent to date. I use ON1 now probably at least 80% of the time as my go to for A6700 post processing.

I've been a devout DXO Photolab 7 user and tried the previous ON1 version which drove me nuts. Very hard to figure out. With the addition of the Brilliance AI I decided to download a trial. It was sooooo much more intuitive for starters. The Brilliance AI was just that.......brilliant! Takes one near to where they need to be with one click. Better yet allows one to zero in on a specific subject in the photo and dial it in perfectly. I found their sharpening to be the finest yet. Forget about anything Adobe or Capture One, this is leagues better. The NoNoise is great right up to about ISO6400 where if shot above that I go to DXO for the perfect results. All in all it was the best $80 I've spent to date. I use ON1 now probably at least 80% of the time as my go to for A6700 post processing.
Can it batch process?

Can it batch process?
No idea, but I can imagine that this would be an important consideration for someone who does need to batch process.

I've been using ON1 for several years now. I'm finding that in almost every image I've tried to apply brilliance AI on, the results are awful. I can achieve much better results quicker and easier by ignoring it. Most times I have found the alterations to tone and saturation/vibrance to give almost cartoon like effects. The colours of plants and trees seem deeply biased towards the more vibrant greens that I've observed in Europe, and North America. For night shots it seems biased towards attempting to convert them to daylight. At the moment it seems more trouble than it's worth. I'm just starting on learning masking, and blending, so that's what will get my time and energy for now.

No offense, but paying attention can be a very valuable thing. ON1 in the preferences allows you to customize the levels it will automatically apply. That and of course it allows you to isolate what subject you want to play with adjusting afterward as well which is quite invaluable. Eg: a bird in the midst of a scene. Selecting just the bird (masked) and adjusting it, then say selecting the Sky and likewise adjust just that. I love the control ON1 RAW 2024 gives me and at times prefer it to my beloved DXO Photolab 7. Both regardless blow anything Adobe out of the universe. I've been at this over 25 years and feel adamant about that.

Back