Alan Clark
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Liverpool
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
 ORION H-alpha fini small.jpg

Part of Orion (North at right). 130 x 30" exposures, Sony A7R converted to full spectrum, Astronomik H-Alpha clip-in filter, Sony 90mm macro lens at f2.8. Processed in AstroPixelProcessor and ON1.

Rrom left to right: Orion Nebula, the Horsehead Nebula and Flame Nebula above Orion's Belt, the brightest part of the Barnard Loop, bright stars Bellatrix and Betelgeuse, and the Angelfish Nebula.

Do you have a color version of this? I would love to see that. I have an Full IR Converted Camera as well and got the H-Apha Filter for it to bring out the colors. I'm hoping to do Milky Way Images when it comes back around here.

Do you have a color version of this? I would love to see that. I have an Full IR Converted Camera as well and got the H-Apha Filter for it to bring out the colors. I'm hoping to do Milky Way Images when it comes back around here.
I am not sure what you are asking for. The photo is taken in Hydrogen alpha light, so the result from a colour camera is pure red, so it would not look good if shown that way. To produce a full colour image I would need to photograph at other wavelengths and combine the results, which I have not done. It is also possible to process the image in such a way that the nebula is red but the stars are white, giving a fairly realistic effect, but that would be tricky and I don't really know how to do it effectively.

I am not sure what you are asking for. The photo is taken in Hydrogen alpha light, so the result from a colour camera is pure red, so it would not look good if shown that way. To produce a full colour image I would need to photograph at other wavelengths and combine the results, which I have not done. It is also possible to process the image in such a way that the nebula is red but the stars are white, giving a fairly realistic effect, but that would be tricky and I don't really know how to do it effectively.
I apologize if I am not remembering correctly. I started learning Astro last Summer and might be confusing things as I haven't read up on it since early Fall. I thought by adding the H-Alpha filter to a full IR converted camera, that it would indeed bring out the reds in the color images, and produce a more accurate picture of them.

I didn't realize there was more processing and filters involved to do this. I guess I best start to educate myself more before the Season is upon us.

Back