Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
This magnificent sight is the Chapel of St Peter and St Paul at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich. The painting over the altar is, ‘The Preservation of St Paul after a Shipwreck at Malta (25 ft x 14 ft). The artist is none other than the anglo-american Benjamin West (1738-1820). West completed the work in 1789, he later went on to create the Nelson pediment, ‘The Immortality of Nelson’ in 1812 also at the Old Royal Naval college – see my earlier photographs of this magnificent work.
the chapel-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 2500

Last edited:
I think it's a real shame that amazing workmanship and structures like this are a thing of the past.

Surely it must be time to use a wider angled lens?

Beautiful art, I do wish people would continue this.

Surely it must be time to use a wider angled lens?

Beautiful art, I do wish people would continue this.
Miao, you are probably right, but I love my 70-200 too much, it is welded onto my camera! However, if you notice the sign to the right, it says, 'no photography'. So I was taking the photograph just outside the Chapel at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the Chapel. So my view was constrained and a wider angle lens would not have been much use, 70mm was about as wide as possible from this vantage point, so my 50mm would not have made much difference.

Last edited:
Miao, you are probably right, but I love my 70-200 too much, it is welded onto my camera! However, if you notice the sign to the right, it says, 'no photography'. So I was taking the photograph just outside the Chapel at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the Chapel. So my view was constrained and a wider angle lens would not have been much use, 70mm was about as wide as possible from this vantage point, so my 50mm would not have made much difference.
Sorry, I didn't read the sign. Ah well in that case, good job.

I was thinking the lens was always left on it to stop dust getting inside, maybe...

Sorry, I didn't read the sign. Ah well in that case, good job.

I was thinking the lens was always left on it to stop dust getting inside, maybe...
That too, but I really love this lens, and even though I don’t change lenses, I’ve still got dust on the sensor, even after it was professionally cleaned.

Back