Followers
Following
Name
Alex Pler
Country
Spain
City/State
Barcelona
Earlier this month I traveled to Bordeaux for the first time. A lovely French city for a weekend getaway. I took with me only one lens for my a7c, Sony's 40mm f2.5 G. I practised some street photography and tried some random portraits. Hope you like them.

A7C07842.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.5
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C07826.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C07803.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 160

A7C06904.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.5
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 3200

Last edited:
I love my 40mm G. Such an amazing lens! 🤠

It's my first prime lens and thus I'm still getting used to frame with it. But it's a pleasure to play around and when it nails a shot, I almost can't believe the sharpness and detail.

I hope Sony keeps releasing more of this type of light, compact primes. They are a perfect match for the a7c.

I was very tempted buy that lens though felt that 35 GM would get me more use and That F stop for architecture can be overcooked inside. Since then I purchased a Sony 55 only because I wanted something with a Z on it less than 85. Seeing your images makes me uncomfortable with my decisions! :))

I was very tempted buy that lens though felt that 35 GM would get me more use and That F stop for architecture can be overcooked inside. Since then I purchased a Sony 55 only because I wanted something with a Z on it less than 85. Seeing your images makes me uncomfortable with my decisions! :))

In the end there's no bad choice, I think, as there's always some use for each lens. It all depends on your specific needs and the type of photography you enjoy the most.

I was unsure about 35 or 50 and that's why I decided for the 40, as it sits in between and I read some rave reviews. But I understand it can feel somehow limited or not fast enough for some people.

Last edited:
#1 and #4 are top-notch stuff. Very nice work!

#1 and #4 are top-notch stuff. Very nice work!

Thanks for the feedback. #1 is my favourite as well. I only had one chance before the moment was gone but maybe that hurriedness is part of its charm.

It's my first prime lens and thus I'm still getting used to frame with it. But it's a pleasure to play around and when it nails a shot, I almost can't believe the sharpness and detail.

I hope Sony keeps releasing more of this type of light, compact primes. They are a perfect match for the a7c.

It's nice to hear (and see!) that you are enjoying it mate.

I'm not a big fan of primes so this 40mm is my only prime besides my macro lens, personally I'd just rather zooms. What I actually love about this 40mm is how the image I have in my mind before lifting the camera up to my eye is the image I see in the EVF.

It's a brilliant urban walk around lens which really excels in open type scenes. The camera just looks amazing with it on as well. 😋

It's nice to hear (and see!) that you are enjoying it mate.

I'm not a big fan of primes so this 40mm is my only prime besides my macro lens, personally I'd just rather zooms. What I actually love about this 40mm is how the image I have in my mind before lifting the camera up to my eye is the image I see in the EVF.

It's a brilliant urban walk around lens which really excels in open type scenes. The camera just looks amazing with it on as well. 😋

That's exactly why I like it, what you see is what you will shoot. It's my type of photography I guess. A close, natural and realistic approach, mostly for travel, street and portrait. And how good it looks the camera with it is the icing on the cake.

Also it's a discreet set, you go mostly unnoticed and can get really close without being intrusive. I'm loving the dedicated aperture ring as well and I will miss it in other lenses without it.

But I'm thinking about getting a zoom in the future (besides the 28-60mm that came with the camera) for other uses.

Back