Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
A big thanks to everyone who joined in with the reflections photography challenge last month. There were some amazing images posted!

So for this month (Feb 2021) the challenge is black and white.

This is not a competition so there will be no winners announced, it's purely for fun and self-development.

Simple Rules:
  • Sony cameras only please
  • Post as many times as you would like
Have fun!

auto.jpg

What makes a good black and white picture? Do I just take any properly exposed picture and push the saturation slider all the way to the left?

An old fishing boat given an Antique Photo effect in Silver FX Pro (Nik Collection)
Boat 1 Antique.jpg

• Admin
Snowdon Mountain Railway a couple of years back. Great hike providing you go mid week and very early to avoid the crowds. Although not a problem these days with the lockdown!

snowdon-railway.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • FE 24mm F1.4 GM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 125

• Admin
What makes a good black and white picture? Do I just take any properly exposed picture and push the saturation slider all the way to the left?
I'm definitely no expert on B&W photography but as far as I understand the basics, colour is obviously a lot less important, it's more about shape, form, texture and lines. You can still show beauty with B&W, just not in colour. You need to use texture, shape, form, and definition to convey this instead. Here's a much better guide: https://photographylife.com/black-and-white-photography

20210127223313-180.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 400

ok, how about this one: editing in color made me very conscious of the graininess because of the lowlight/highISO but it doesn't look terrible when I convert to B&W.
This definitely works as B&W. Lovely looking cat too!

Spark LED Drummers 12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 58.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 12800

Virginia Ann Bygone Times 12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 235.0 mm
  • ƒ/9