Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
A big thanks to everyone who joined in with the macro and close-up photography challenge last month!

So for this month (November 2020) the challenge is nighttime and low light photography.

I've named this nighttime and low light photography as I don't want it to be restricted to astrophotography, but also include shots taken in other low light settings such as indoors or after the sun has gone down, or even during the day if the light is particularly low, perhaps due to a storm approaching or under a forest canopy.

This is not a competition so there will be no winners announced, it's purely for fun and self-development.

Simple Rules:
  • Sony cameras only please
  • Post as many times as you would like
  • Have fun!
Low Light Photography Tips:

If you are looking for tips and inspiration then this article should point you in the right direction:

https://photographylife.com/low-light-digital-photography-tips

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone posts! :)

Last edited:
ANZAC place: War memorial.
Memorial Edit 1.jpg

almost looks like something from minecraft

Thank you for the link on Low Light Photography. I was already planning on going out in the community as Christmas nears because we have some local residents who's Christmas lighted decorations are really a site to behold. Some of them are I guess what could be descreibed as animated and are accompanied by music broadcast on FM. Lights change to the beat of the music. These would have to be seen on video to be appreciated.

This picture isn't technically spectacular - but i really like it. that boat is likely between 45 and 65 feet as i was told it is set up for offshore fishing and those vessels tend to be larger. This guy was tucked in a little cove.

Canadian Fishing Boat.jpg

Northern Arizona (Flagstaff) this past summers many camping trips to escape the house
DSC03986.jpg
DSC03795.jpg

• Admin
Taken with Sony 55mm. Had just picked it up when I shot this. Don't have the settings I used sorry.
Lovely low light portrait Barbara! :)

A7R2 with 16-35 F4. 16mm, F4, ISO 100, 20 sec.

I just love the "sun/light stars" of the F4. Very distinctive shape.

Attachments

• CableGreen092518F-4277.jpg
    CableGreen092518F-4277.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Moon Rise in July. Fires all over the place made the moon orange all summer. I have lots of orange, red, and pink moon shots from the last couple years.

This shot makes the moon look fake from the compression and the fact it is far enough above the horizon to look PS'd into the image.
7R3 with MC11 Sigma 120-300. 120MM, F8, ISO 100, 1/10 sec. Shot this resting lens on door of my Truck (foam under lens to protect it). The Sigma (8 lbs with body) is way to fat for my drive around Tripod.

Second image was shot a bit before the first, you can see the moon coming up behind the distant mountains. Look less fake since you have perspective and context for the Moon.
7R3 with 24-105 G. 105mm, F4, ISO 100 1/30 sec. Tripod of course.

Examples of how your composition can make your photo look less real shooting at night or dusk with longer FL.

I shot one with a 600mm, will have to find it an edit. I'm sure it looks even more fake than the first.

These are edited for FB and IG, so they are low res. Guess I need to make some high res versions for the forums! :)

Attachments

• Moon4thofJuly070420N-37276.jpg
    Moon4thofJuly070420N-37276.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 141
  • MoonriseV2040720N-733875.jpg
    MoonriseV2040720N-733875.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
River Clyde in Glasgow Scotland.
River Clyde Weir 12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M2
  • FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS
  • 46.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 13 sec
  • ISO 50

A late night apartment fire on a very cold night made for some interesting pics.

Attachments

• DSC06274.JPG
    DSC06274.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC06333.JPG
    DSC06333.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 121
Back