Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
I use Photoshop Elements 2022 (and had a previous version before that), since I don't want to pay a monthly subscription for Lightroom or Photoshop CS. There is a third party plugin called Elements Plus that only costs twelve bucks and unlocks many of the features found in the full version of Photoshop. Just curious if anyone else here uses it and what features you use?

So far I have only been using the Focus Stack script. However I just discovered it also does RAW lens corrections, which I am going to try using. Any other users of Elements Plus out there?

Interesting. I own two way-back Elements versions from a decade ago, with SmartCurve and NeatImage plugins. I doubt my discounted path is still open, but I'll check a few sites and learn more. I have other, more recent software but none of them have really caught my interest.

My most used software is LViewPro from 1991: crop, resize, sharpen a pinch, maybe desaturate. It's even 32-bit software!.. but of course its name is limited to 8 characters. 🦖 🦕

Last edited:
I use Photoshop Elements 2022 (and had a previous version before that), since I don't want to pay a monthly subscription for Lightroom or Photoshop CS. There is a third party plugin called Elements Plus that only costs twelve bucks and unlocks many of the features found in the full version of Photoshop. Just curious if anyone else here uses it and what features you use?

So far I have only been using the Focus Stack script. However I just discovered it also does RAW lens corrections, which I am going to try using. Any other users of Elements Plus out there?
Twelve bucks? People spend more than that on coffee. Get it and let us know.

Twelve bucks? People spend more than that on coffee. Get it and let us know.
I already got it immediately after I got the newest version of Elements (a few months ago). I just haven't looked into any of its features other than focus stacking.

I have photoshop elements and have used it for panorama stitching and small blemish removal. Ever since I bought ON1, I don't think ive opened PS Elements...

Seems that some features go back to El6, so that's cool. Nearly everything works after El10. I think my last buy was 10..

Looking into it further, it appears the lens corrections only apply to chromatic aberration and vignetting: http://elementsplus.net/help/en/lens-corrections.htm
These are also not done by reading the profile of a specific lens, but are generic sliders you can adjust per image.

While this is a nice feature, I was hoping for something like what (I think) Lightroom has. Where it will read a specific lens automatically and adjust for things like barrel distortion. Maybe I will need to break down and buy a Lightroom subscription.

Looking into it further, it appears the lens corrections only apply to chromatic aberration and vignetting: http://elementsplus.net/help/en/lens-corrections.htm
These are also not done by reading the profile of a specific lens, but are generic sliders you can adjust per image.

While this is a nice feature, I was hoping for something like what (I think) Lightroom has. Where it will read a specific lens automatically and adjust for things like barrel distortion. Maybe I will need to break down and buy a Lightroom subscription.
ON1 has this feature. Have you tried it?

ON1 has this feature. Have you tried it?
No. I was hoping not to get any additional software. I have lived without this feature until now, so I guess I need to decide if I really need it. I will look into the pricing of ON1.

Hi, You could try Affinity Photo as it does have lens specific calibration/distortion correction built in.
Download a free trial and also wait until the next Black Friday or that Monday thing comes along you may get it for a lot less. Russ.

Hi, You could try Affinity Photo as it does have lens specific calibration/distortion correction built in.
Download a free trial and also wait until the next Black Friday or that Monday thing comes along you may get it for a lot less. Russ.
DO NOT WAIT! There was a new version released yesterday with a special release price of $40 US. After this offer it will be $70. I doubt any sales will be as low as this sale, as they've also taken into consideration current users and how much we're paying for the upgrade.

Interesting. I own two way-back Elements versions from a decade ago, with SmartCurve and NeatImage plugins. I doubt my discounted path is still open, but I'll check a few sites and learn more. I have other, more recent software but none of them have really caught my interest.

My most used software is LViewPro from 1991: crop, resize, sharpen a pinch, maybe desaturate. It's even 32-bit software!.. but of course its name is limited to 8 characters. 🦖 🦕

The 8 character name limitation went away even for 16 bit DOS software, long before we got 32 bit software.

I posted this same topic on NikonRumors (since I shoot Nikon D850 in addition to Sony A74). What I really want is something that does lens correction ONLY that I can then process further in Photoshop Elements. What I need (I think) is what someone there suggested: DxO PureRaw2. It is on Black Friday sale and I am going to buy it later today and see how it goes.

The catch with DXO PureRAW is that you don't get much control over it. If you get DXO PhotoLab you get the same nice reduction and lens/camera profiles as in PureRAW, but you get a lot more control over things. You can process a RAW file, export it as TIFF (or other formats), and pull it into your processing software of choice. I've done this to benefit from DeepPrime noise reduction.

I think DXO PhotoLab is probably on a CyberMonday special, too.

The catch with DXO PureRAW is that you don't get much control over it. If you get DXO PhotoLab you get the same nice reduction and lens/camera profiles as in PureRAW, but you get a lot more control over things. You can process a RAW file, export it as TIFF (or other formats), and pull it into your processing software of choice. I've done this to benefit from DeepPrime noise reduction.

I think DXO PhotoLab is probably on a CyberMonday special, too.
It is my understanding DxO PureRaw2 also lets you export and process in another program. The reviews I read specifically mentions saving it as a DNG which is fine, though I would normally save as a TIFF. Are you saying it is not possible to save as a TIFF? Or maybe you are saying you cannot do additional processing (which I had planned to do in Photoshop Elements anyway). Maybe I will see what the price difference is between the two DxO programs. I do use their Nik Collection (as an Elements plugin) which I love.

I just bought DXO PR and just open images from Faststone viewer into it, let it do it's thing and it gives option to choose what app I want to open the DNG result's with,in my case Affinity photo do my process and save from Affinity. Russ.

It is my understanding DxO PureRaw2 also lets you export and process in another program. The reviews I read specifically mentions saving it as a DNG which is fine, though I would normally save as a TIFF. Are you saying it is not possible to save as a TIFF? Or maybe you are saying you cannot do additional processing (which I had planned to do in Photoshop Elements anyway). Maybe I will see what the price difference is between the two DxO programs. I do use their Nik Collection (as an Elements plugin) which I love.
No, it does that. The catch is that you have no control over things like the amount of noise reduction applied.

No, it does that. The catch is that you have no control over things like the amount of noise reduction applied.
That is the draw back it has, I have found that for low noise Topaz gives better options but so far anything over 12000 DXO seems to work well. Russ.

Back