Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
February's monthly competition was amazing, truly great to see so much participation!

For context, I don't shoot B&W. By the time I dipped a toe into photography, I was already in the era that spawned digital photography, therefore I have no B&W film experience. That said, it was a fun challenge to try to find a scene that I could edit from color to monochrome. I did some research online, and edited as much as I could, but ultimately I don't think I picked a scene that was ideal for B&W.

So for discussion, did you learn anything from the exercise of shooting/editing Black & White? Or any other musings about the topic you want to share?

What were your also-rans, if you had any? Your camera can shoot B&W without having to convert in post. Set it up and go out for a walk with B&W in mind.

I went out and looked for subjects that I thought would translate well to B&W. I also looked at other shots that I had taken within the time period of contest rules that again, would translate well to B&W. I think I ended up with 5 or 6 choices.

I do occasionally shoot something and convert it to B&W when I see its possibilities, sometimes at the scene or later when at the computer editing. Somehow I never quite got around to doing something for this competition, though!

In general, for me what works best in B&W is a scene involving something which is fairly simple, with lines or texture, -- or perhaps a scene which is dramatic conveying mood and/or lots of contrast. A minimalist approach can be really effective, too. In B&W, contrast is the big thing, though, which captures a viewer's attention, draws it to the image and may keep it lingering there.....

For that matter, though, contrast is important in color photography, too, but B&W is where it is notable and can really shine.

This has been the best competition! Lots of amazing pictures and different approaches to the same category. Such variety was very enjoyable.

As for myself I don't usually shot/post in B&W but I had this set of pictures that I thought they could work in B&W and I enjoyed the result, so who knows, it may be useful for future projects.

In general, for me what works best in B&W is a scene involving something which is fairly simple, with lines or texture, -- or perhaps a scene which is dramatic conveying mood and/or lots of contrast. A minimalist approach can be really effective, too. In B&W, contrast is the big thing, though, which captures a viewer's attention, draws it to the image and may keep it lingering there.....
This right here. This mirrors my thoughts on what makes a scene an ideal composition for B&W.

Your camera can shoot B&W without having to convert in post. Set it up and go out for a walk with B&W in mind.
I am going to try this approach next time. Rather than try to imagine what the scene would look like in b&w, I'll switch on "Creative Look" profile "BW" so I can have the display in B&W, JPG saved in B&W, but still have a full raw file to manipulate if I want.

I am going to try this approach next time. Rather than try to imagine what the scene would look like in b&w, I'll switch on "Creative Look" profile "BW" so I can have the display in B&W, JPG saved in B&W, but still have a full raw file to manipulate if I want.
That's not very challenging though, is it? The idea behind my suggestion is to hone your B&W skills. Set the camera up for B&W jpeg only and force yourself to shoot only images that you think look good in B&W. This is similar to a prime lens or single lens challenge, where a photographer uses only one lens for a walk, a week, or even a month. Make it about learning with nothing to fall back on.

That's not very challenging though, is it? The idea behind my suggestion is to hone your B&W skills. Set the camera up for B&W jpeg only and force yourself to shoot only images that you think look good in B&W. This is similar to a prime lens or single lens challenge, where a photographer uses only one lens for a walk, a week, or even a month. Make it about learning with nothing to fall back on.
hmmm ok, worth a shot.

There's a B&W setting (high contrast monochrome or something) that gives some striking pictures straight from the camera, like they were shot in an old analogue camera. I use it from time to time, but never forced myself to shot a full set with it. Maybe I should...

hmmm ok, worth a shot.

There's a B&W setting (high contrast monochrome or something) that gives some striking pictures straight from the camera, like they were shot in an old analogue camera. I use it from time to time, but never forced myself to shot a full set with it. Maybe I should...
Look at it this way: Other than an investment in time, it's free. No film to buy or develop, no proofs or prints.

I think this month's competition was the best I've seen while a member of the Forum. Not just the number of entries, but the quality and diversity of the entries. I have always loved B&W photography and I've been a big fan of Ansel Adams even from before I picked up a camera, partially because Adams photographed one of my favourite places on the planet, Yosemite. I don't know how Adams made B&W landscape look so natural. Sometimes I see a scene and I think that will make a great B&W image, but mostly, its when I get the image in post I decide to process it as a B&W image from the start of the process, sometimes it works.

Just for curiosity about this month's competition: how long does it take to be considered "long exposure"? Because I shoot handheld and I'm afraid that without a tripod nothing will fit.

Just for curiosity about this month's competition: how long does it take to be considered "long exposure"? Because I shoot handheld and I'm afraid that without a tripod nothing will fit

Alex, if you shoot a wide-angle lens of any kind you can get pretty long exposures handheld when you consider the added benefit of stabilization. Plus, you can always stabilize on a park bench, a wall, a tree, a fence, etc.

Alex, if you shoot a wide-angle lens of any kind you can get pretty long exposures handheld when you consider the added benefit of stabilization. Plus, you can always stabilize on a park bench, a wall, a tree, a fence, etc.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try. Although long exposure it's not really my thing haha.

Back