Post-Competition Discussion: Long Exposure

It's taken me a while to reply but here goes (and this is just my opinion) - in the photo of the elephant pulling up the grass with it's trunk, it's the main subject, or part of it, that is blurred and elephants generally not being very fast moving animals. For me, panning is different. It is the camera that is moving in an attempt to blur the background and keep the subject relatively sharp except for moving parts like wheels. In your photo of the dragster, the shutter speed has been too fast to blur the wheels or the background more than a minimal amount, especially considering how fast these things can go.

After being in a camera club for over 20 years (I am not a member now) with monthly competitions and an end of year exhibition, it was always left up to the judges to interpret the theme of the competition.
Sometimes I shoot these at 1/100 or 1/160, but in this case I chose a photo with the faster shutter speed to make a point that your comment about 'blur' being is not the sole descriptor.

You may be interested to know that the photo was made from 35' away and is virtually uncropped except for composition, the car got slightly ahead of me in the frame and I had to take some off the back. So, while you jumped on the technique (which BTW is not the topic of this thread, sorry you couldn't resist the urge), yes they are fast. Very fast. Try panning on something that close, going that fast, and is that large, while filling the frame. I don't stand way back to take an easy photo, crop the holy crap out of it, and then post it for Ooh's and Ah's.

Excellent point, the focal length changes things. But I don't know that that 600mm @ 1/50 is not possible when one considers IS. If we have 4 real stops of IS, then 600>300>150>75>37.5. This is going to be dependent on the individual of course, and makes things more difficult, but it's not impossible.

This is an enjoyable discussion!
Then there is obviously also the minor issue of the weight of the 600mm lens when shooting handheld. Perhaps we need a separate section on the forum for weight training advice for those who want to shoot handheld with these long lenses 🤣

Then there is obviously also the minor issue of the weight of the 600mm lens when shooting handheld. Perhaps we need a separate section on the forum for weight training advice for those who want to shoot handheld with these long lenses 🤣
Yeah, it can be a challenge, although some weight is usually helpful for stability. I once shot an M-4/3 100-400 @ 1/15. That's 800mm equivalence. The G9 was rated at 6 stops, so 800>400>200>100>50>25>12.5, exactly there. I don't know that I could do that with the much larger and heavier 200-600 though! I think the 100-400 was about the perfect size for stability without being cumbersome.

Sometimes I shoot these at 1/100 or 1/160, but in this case I chose a photo with the faster shutter speed to make a point that your comment about 'blur' being is not the sole descriptor.

You may be interested to know that the photo was made from 35' away and is virtually uncropped except for composition, the car got slightly ahead of me in the frame and I had to take some off the back. So, while you jumped on the technique (which BTW is not the topic of this thread, sorry you couldn't resist the urge), yes they are fast. Very fast. Try panning on something that close, going that fast, and is that large, while filling the frame. I don't stand way back to take an easy photo, crop the holy crap out of it, and then post it for Ooh's and Ah's.
I don't think I jumped on anything! I wasn't having a go at your photo or your technique. Just giving my opinion on the difference between blur from a moving camera while panning and a moving subject while the camera is kept still.

I have some experience of shooting racing cars on the old Adelaide Formula 1 Grand Prix track (among other places) from closer than that and panning at higher shutter speeds.

Just because I have only been on this forum for a few months doesn't mean I have only been taking photos for a few months. If you can't handle that then that is your problem. It's not a good way of welcoming new members...

I didn't participate last month, I spent most of it on the sofa after having keyhole surgery. Pretty well mended now though.
I hope you make a speedy recovery Dave!

Or just get the new Sigma 500 F5.6 instead :D I'm still surprised how light it is when I pick it up.

Or just get the new Sigma 500 F5.6 instead :D I'm still surprised how light it is when I pick it up.
My wife just noticed me looking at this lens and told me in no uncertain terms that I don't need it, since I already blew my whole camera budget for the next decade on a 600mm f4 🤣 , so I guess it's off to the gym for me...

Back