Pro Member Competition Feedback

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Jeff A

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Sorry for not being clear Mike. But yes, if you Google it you'll pretty much find the definition. Any photos taken in a public place really, they don't necessarily have to include people but many street shots will. This search on Flickr should provide lots of ideas: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=street photography
After going through many of those "Street Photography" images on flickr I realize two things:
1. I don't get out much
2. Maybe that's a good thing

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
After going through many of those "Street Photography" images on flickr I realize two things:
1. I don't get out much
2. Maybe that's a good thing
:ROFLMAO: I was thinking the same thing. I'm working from home and not mingling on streets for a reason. But then again, even before the Coronapocalypse, I always felt a bit sheepish about taking pictures of strangers.

Jeff A

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
:ROFLMAO: I was thinking the same thing. I'm working from home and not mingling on streets for a reason. But then again, even before the Coronapocalypse, I always felt a bit sheepish about taking pictures of strangers.
I'm a new photographer and still wondering what genre I am interesting in shooting a night photography is interesting to me. I thought I could go into the city and find lots of subjects to shoot, then I began to wonder how I would survive such a venture and still have a camera and some degree of good health. Pretty sad when you think about it.

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Maybe in hindsight a street photography theme wasn't the best idea for this year! :rolleyes: I guess it depends very much on where you live, how busy your local city or town is and how comfortable you feel going out. I still like to visit my local city of Worcester and walk along the river where I can comfortably keep my distance from people. No need to shoot people either if you aren't comfortable with this, there are many other things like buildings, landmarks, bins, traffics lights, graffiti, transport that can be shot in the street too. Or break out the 600mm and shoot from a mile way! :)

WeeMalky

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 10, 2020
Name
Malcolm Yates
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Prestwick . Ayrshire Scotland
I was lucky enough to be the December winner. I would encourage all members to participate in the coming months ahead. Tim is doing a great job in getting this all up and running and I feel he needs our support and it also builds a good community spirit. So come on folks we see your work in all the other forums and there are some stunning shots amongst them. So let's get going in 2021 take care and stay safe 🙏

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I think your submission end date needs to be edited for the February competition Tim ;)

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Tim, I have a suggestion; let me know what you think for future comps.
The closing date of the competition is usually close to the end of the month, but since voting is open immediately people tend to vote early (or when they are submitting their own entry) and may not re-visit the thread throughout the month to vote again. I feel like an entry on the 1st of the month should have the same chance to get votes as an entry made on the 24th of the month; and the only way to do that would be to allow voting only once new entries are prohibited.
Thoughts?

Reactions: Jeff A

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Tim, I have a suggestion; let me know what you think for future comps.
The closing date of the competition is usually close to the end of the month, but since voting is open immediately people tend to vote early (or when they are submitting their own entry) and may not re-visit the thread throughout the month to vote again. I feel like an entry on the 1st of the month should have the same chance to get votes as an entry made on the 24th of the month; and the only way to do that would be to allow voting only once new entries are prohibited.
Thoughts?
Hey Chris. Thanks for the feedback. I did actually try this format last year for one month but it didn't seem to make much of a difference in the number of entries or voting. That said, I have been thinking about giving it another go as like you say it would make it fairer for those who submit photos later, so we'll try this again next month :)

Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

garuda

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 14, 2020
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
Tim, I have a suggestion.... to allow voting only once new entries are prohibited. Thoughts?
The theory of Chris' suggestion sounds good, but I suggest modifying it somewhat: ie. Make entry dates from Jan 1st thru Jan 15th and then close entries. From Jan 16th thru Jan 28th will be the voting window only. This way the voting window is longer and all entries are now available for 13 days.

For the possible argument that only 15 days would restrict the entry time period, my argument would be to buy a faster lens for the competition. :LOL:

Last edited:

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Hah alright Mike, I think that's also a fair suggestion.

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
The theory of Chris' suggestion sounds good, but I suggest modifying it somewhat: ie. Make entry dates from Jan 1st thru Jan 15th and then close entries. From Jan 16th thru Jan 28th will be the voting window only. This way the voting window is longer and all entries are now available for 13 days.

For the possible argument that only 15 days would restrict the entry time period, my argument would be to buy a faster lens for the competition. :LOL:
Cheers Mike. I'll give this a go next month! :)

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I wanna be like Mike and Malcom one of these days: Competition comes up "Oh I have the perfect picture in my portfolio for this..." :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Timothy Mayo

garuda

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 14, 2020
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
I wanna be like Mike and Malcom one of these days: Competition comes up "Oh I have the perfect picture in my portfolio for this..." :ROFLMAO:
I know you're kidding, but actually, as I told Tim in a PM, I chose sunsets to encourage more participation in the competition that Tim has worked hard at to muster interest and practice amongst forum members. Since sunrise/sunsets are readily available to everyone, regardless of location, I hoped it would improve participation and voting.

Although I have some doubts about Alaska and South Africa, since they're so far from the equator I'm not sure if the sunlight reaches that far. :confused:

P.S. -- I voted for you.

Last edited:

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I know you're kidding, but actually, as I told Tim in a PM, I chose sunsets to encourage more participation in the competition that Tim has worked hard at to muster interest and practice amongst forum members. Since sunrise/sunsets are readily available to everyone, regardless of location, I hoped it would improve participation and voting.

Although I have some doubts about Alaska and South Africa, since they're so far from the equator I'm not sure if the sunlight reaches that far. :confused:

P.S. -- I voted for you.
I actually really enjoyed your choice this month! It was a great excuse to scout a new spot that I had spotted on my drone a few months back. I will get many more chances to get my ideal sunset shot there.

P.S.: lol @ the Alaska/SA comment
P.P.S.: Thank you for your vote!

Jeff A

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
That's the drawer on LEFT side of desk where you keep pictures. The RIGHT drawer is Starboardolio. I know, these are new terms for you. :giggle:
You always have to throw those big words around, don't you?

• Haha
Reactions: garuda

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.