Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Question about Viewfinder on A7 IV

rgarven

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Robert W. Garven Jr.
Country
United States
City/State
Ventura, California
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Dear friends,

I'm trying to do more manual photography and I have a question. When shooting in a manual mode on my A7 IV, when I look through the viewfinder at the bottom in the middle there's a graph from -5 all the way to +5 which looks like a white balance setting. There's a little triangle there which seems to move around and I can't figure out what this is or how to modify the setting. I've been looking through the manual with a little luck size hoping someone here could help me out.

Thanks,

It is your "exposure meter."

You are in M: the settings are completely in your hands, but the camera is still telling you whether it thinks you are right. And if wrong, by how much.

It also shows when you are using exposure compensation - shows how much exposure compensation you have chosen.

It does. But not in "M." I don't think one gets exposure compensation in M?

I'm an "A" man, mostly. Used to use exposure compensation quite often on the a6500. With the a7iv, I soon found out that the camera was better at it, so I leave it to it.

It does. But not in "M." I don't think one gets exposure compensation in M?

I'm an "A" man, mostly. Used to use exposure compensation quite often on the a6500. With the a7iv, I soon found out that the camera was better at it, so I leave it to it.
No point in exposure compensation in M, as you say.

Your statement about being an A man made me think of A mount - there are a few people on here shooting A mount lenses and getting excellent results.

I use A mode, too, a lot of the time. My animals in action custom mode is based on A + auto-ISO minimum shutter speed.

I joined the Sony party well into E-mount days.

I too use the auto-iso minimum shutter speed a lot.

Of course, I do use large apertures for smaller depth of field in composition --- but quite often I'm using as close to wide-open as I can to keep the shutter speed up. Aperture Priority to control the shutter speed: is that ironic? :cool:

Thanks to all. I don't get to use my camera as much as I want because I'm always busy with the band but I really enjoy it.

New in Marketplace

Back