Raw or JPEG

Tinopener

Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Hi all Just wondering I don't have Photo shop or Light room so question should I just shoot in J peg until I get either one .. Thank you Gary

Hi all Just wondering I don't have Photo shop or Light room so question should I just shoot in J peg until I get either one .. Thank you Gary
You could always shoot "RAW+Jpeg" so you have a copy of both. As long as you have the memory space, there's no harm. Later on you can revisit your previous shots and try your hand at editing the RAW files to see if you can equal or surpass the JPEG captured by the camera.

If you have no means to process RAW, then you have no choice.

Fowlers has the right idea...shoot both (if you have the hd space). Later on when you try your hand at raw, you have them available, and if raw is not for you, you simply delete them.

As far as I am concerned I just shot Jpeg as most programs to convert them from RAW are way to expensive for our household.
So I go be this though I would like to try it one day but I am yet to see any difference between the two in the finish results.
Just my point of view on this so I would be kicking yourself too much for just going in Jpeg.

Not much point in raw until you have editing covered

I shoot in jpeg extrafine, even if I do some editing in lightroom mobile.

I transfer files on the go with wifi and IEM, which only allows jpeg.

Also shooting in jpeg is unforgiving as most mistakes can't be saved later, but that can be learning tool as well.

This is an age old question, JPEG or Raw, but I selected 2 shots from my "Night before Christmas Eve" shoot to show why I love to shoot Raw and enjoy the processing as well. The processing costs me $9.99 per month US, so for what I have tied up in cameras, this is not much of a factor.
A7405150.JPG
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 800
2023 Christmas Lights-36.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 800
A7405151.JPG
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 500
2023 Christmas Lights-37.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 500

Two Shots, 4 images. These were shot from my car. The first image is JPEG from the camera, followed by the same image shot in Raw and processed in Lightroom Classic. The same thing for the second set, JPEG first, then processed Raw.
The rest of the set is in this album on Flickr.

Back